Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its pretty cheap at most drug stores. What I do is buy the empty spray bottles in the cleaning section and screw the pump right on to the isopropyl bottle and just hose everything down. It evaporates fast. Its also very flammable so don't use it on a hot powerhead. Its also the best thing I have found for removing pitch.
HD sells it by the gallon. It's called 'Klean-Strip Fuel' - search their site for sku 126454.

You can wipe everything down with isopropyl alcohol..or have a spray bottle handy and just spray everything.
I use this between fruit tree pruning

Ernie
thats what they "supposed" to use in the uk its on this link. like most things they take advantage and bang the price up so the working man pays yet again. what used to be the forestry commission now renamed has made use of this mandatory but i have yet to see anyone use it, but you have to have it.
https://www.green-tech.co.uk/weed-k...alara-ash-dieback-arboricultural-disinfectant

HD sells it by the gallon. It's called 'Klean-Strip Fuel' - search their site for sku 126454.
That's denatured alcohol.
I used to buy DA for my garage and the shop at work but isopropyl works so much better and it has a less unpleasant smell. DA has methanol and methyl iso ketone which are both toxic and absorbed through the skin. Isopropyl is relatively harmless as long as you don't drink it or get it in your eyes. If you cut yourself on the job you can clean the wound with iso. You wouldn't want to do that with DA. i have tried both DA and the more common 70% iso for cleaning pitch off of wood cutting tools and neither one will touch it. 91% cleans up pitch with a little scrubbing.

thats what they "supposed" to use in the uk its on this link. like most things they take advantage and bang the price up so the working man pays yet again. what used to be the forestry commission now renamed has made use of this mandatory but i have yet to see anyone use it, but you have to have it.
https://www.green-tech.co.uk/weed-k...alara-ash-dieback-arboricultural-disinfectant
Check the SDS. It's 50-70% isopropyl alcohol. Converting £'s to dollars and liters to ounces it's about $22/quart. You can get four 1qt bottles of 91% iso from Amazon for $30.
I say you buy the bottle of "Propellar" and after you use it up just refill it with isopropyl.

Edit to add:
I was just reading a USDA website on "Sudden Oak Death" which recommends 70% iso for sanitizing tools.

Back