BLACK DIAMOND SLOW OPERATION

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ford tech

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
MY BROTHER BOUGHT THIS SPLITTER 25 TON MODEL BLACK DIAMOND FROM RURAL KING AND AFTER ABOUT 10 HRS OF USE IT STARTED WORKING VERY SLOWLY, IT STILL HAS FULL POWER, JUST PUSHS RAM OUT VERY SLOW. THIS ALL STARTED AFTER TRING TO SPLIT A VERY KNOTY PIECE OF WOOD. ANY IDEAS OR HOW TO DIAGNOSE PROBLEM ? THANKS

Sounds like you blew a seal inside the cylinder or the bypass valve in the control valve is stuck part way open. to check cylinder- run it all the way out , put control valve in neutral- kill engine remove line that is coming from the foot plate/ wedge end of cylinder from the control valve, hold it in a bucket and restart eng. and engage control valve for the splitting stroke keeping line in bucket- if fluid starts spraying out cylinder seal is problem if not then likely valve. kill eng. put back together. Also check the eng to pump coupler it could be damaged.

I CHECKED THE CYLINDER AND IT CHECKS OK NO FLUID CAME OUT OF IT - IS THERE A SWITCHING VALVE INSIDE THE PUMP OR IS IT ALL IN THE CONTROL VALVE ?

Yes there is a pressure sensitive valve in the pumps that causes it to switch from Hi output low pressure to low ouput HI pressure. You also have an unloader /bypass valve in the control valve assembly. I have had problems there in the past with it stuck part way open/ closed. I personally never had a pump problem other than the drive coupler wearing out ( have seen where the rubber parts of the love joy came loose), dosen't mean it can't happen. Ya need to get a gauge in the line for the splitting stroke to see what pressure you are building. That would help us a lot.

Could it simply be low on hydraulic fluid? Don't know. Just offering something else to check. My neighbor has Black Diamond and it's been great! We split 22 cords with it last year. So your brother shouldn't worry too much.

Latest posts

Back