Looking for a new saw with a 24" bar. Echo 490 or Husky 550x?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQRaceworks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a huge oak tree that fell over in my backyard that I need to cut up. The trunk is around 30". I've got a few different saws (Echo 352 w/16" bar, Poulan Pro 5020Av w/20" bar), but I figured this gives me an excuse to get a bigger saw that will help me take care of this thing faster. Tried a few cuts with my 5020, and it's just a pig trying to get through that oak. Long story short, I'm looking for a good saw that I can put a 24" bar on, and will save me some time over my 5020. Yeah, it's a weak excuse....but I kind of just want another saw!

So, I've been doing a lot of research...and I think I've narrowed it down to a couple different saws. Either the Echo 590 (around $450), or the Husky 550X Mark II (around $690).......unless there is something else you guys would suggest I should look at. I've heard the 550 is an awesome saw.....but is it worth the extra $200+ that it's going to cost me? After I cut up this oak tree....honestly, the saw probably won't get used much. My little Echo 352 is what I use most of the time, it's an awesome little saw (after a muffler mod).

From what I've read online....the 590 is a great saw, but heavier than the 550....and the 550 probably makes more power than the 590, and is lighter. But am I just throwing away $200+ buying the 550?

Any suggestions or advice on these two saws would be great.

Thanks!

I've got a huge oak tree that fell over in my backyard that I need to cut up. The trunk is around 30". I've got a few different saws (Echo 352 w/16" bar, Poulan Pro 5020Av w/20" bar), but I figured this gives me an excuse to get a bigger saw that will help me take care of this thing faster. Tried a few cuts with my 5020, and it's just a pig trying to get through that oak. Long story short, I'm looking for a good saw that I can put a 24" bar on, and will save me some time over my 5020. Yeah, it's a weak excuse....but I kind of just want another saw!

So, I've been doing a lot of research...and I think I've narrowed it down to a couple different saws. Either the Echo 590 (around $450), or the Husky 550X Mark II (around $690).......unless there is something else you guys would suggest I should look at. I've heard the 550 is an awesome saw.....but is it worth the extra $200+ that it's going to cost me? After I cut up this oak tree....honestly, the saw probably won't get used much. My little Echo 352 is what I use most of the time, it's an awesome little saw (after a muffler mod).

From what I've read online....the 590 is a great saw, but heavier than the 550....and the 550 probably makes more power than the 590, and is lighter. But am I just throwing away $200+ buying the 550?

Any suggestions or advice on these two saws would be great.

Thanks!
neither. 20", tops on those. The 620P will pull a 24, however, with skip.
Start looking at 70cc saws for what you propose.

Not the 2 listed in 50cc for a 24"

I'd be looking at 65cc and up saws to run 24" all the time. Heck the 550 mkII weighs 12lbs 3oz PHO dry.

If you want light too look at stihl 462 72cc https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms462cm/

462 PHO dry weight

If think you can do with smaller cc 66.7cc stihl 400 very light too.

362 PHO dry weight and 400 list at 6oz more then shown for 362.

Attachments

• s462weightx.jpg
    s462weightx.jpg
    82.1 KB
  • s362weight.png
    s362weight.png
    684.5 KB
Out of those definitely the echo 590 but even that isn’t enough saw for a 24” bar buried in oak. As everyone else has said, 70cc plus territory in your flavor would be preferred. If you want the 590 it will no doubt do it albeit painfully slow.

A lot of what has been said here is correct. For 30" oak, 66-UP cc saw would be best. However, it sounds as if that would be overkill for you. I own and run a CS-590 with some mild mods. I run a full comp 3/8 24" chain on it. You could use it for the tree in question, if you don't push it. You may be better off running the cs-590 with a 20" bar, full comp, since you can't make the full cut with a 24" anyway. 24" bar with skip chain would also lessen the load on the 590. I also run a CS-600P with a 24" bar and full comp .325 chain, but that's a weird combo I doubt anyone is interested in. Ask any follow up questions if you want. Hope it helps.

I own and run a CS-590 with some mild mods. I run a full comp 3/8 24" chain on it. You could use it for the tree in question, if you don't push it. You may be better off running the cs-590 with a 20" bar

+1 for this ^^^^^^^^^^

I have one more observation. The vary best solution to a one-tree problem is always a buddy-with-a-big-saw. Any friends or family who would come over, and for the price of a burger and beer, buck that tree up for you?

There is, right now, a $500 MS460 on CL in SW Missouri. But, I still like Fool's, and my, solutions better.

Roy

Latest posts

Back