Cant Hook Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Hopper

Reaction score
Good morning.

I work with a Disaster Response team and was recently was in western NC cutting up and removing trees downed by Hurricane Helene. Most of the logs we handled were 24" or under but ocassionally we would come across one over 30" We realized we would have benefited by having a cant hook not only there but other places where we have served. Searching around I have come across wood , aluminum, and steel handles with the most common sizes from 48" to 60" in length. What cant hook would you recommend?

i have a dixie log peavy, it might be 60 inches. i dont use it as a log jack. it can be a nice to have but not a essential. i'd much rather carry a massdam rope puller/ 12 inch plastic wedges and a gfb scandinavian forest axe.

A peavey is often more convenient than a cant hook, you can poke it into the dirt so it won't fall over and get lost. I have a 48", works down to about 20" logs, gets a better and more convenient grip on larger stuff. On hard ground/pavement a cant hook is maybe preferable- my dad gave me an oddball old cant hook that mounts on a mattock handle which is great on smaller/shorter pieces. Got mine from the original company- https://peaveymfg.com/

Some say you can jam a peavey into the ground up against one end of a log to keep it from moving, and so force it to pivot if a 2nd one is used at the far end- I think it'd work but I'm mostly always solo out there so haven't tried it.

Latest posts

Back