Carlton bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wendell,

No reason for airplane stripper except that it will eat just about ANY varnish or paint made and quickly. Regular paint stripper might work.

[snip]
Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yep, I just used an off the shelf, household/commercial type paint stripper available form your nearest hardware but it does contain dichloromethane/methylene chloride/DCM.
It just lifted the clearcoat easily and I just scraped/washed the goo off.
As I stated above, I had to as the clearcoat on my bar made one unholy mess and the clearcoat re-hardened with chips and sawdust right through it as soon as I finished cutting, but apparently not all do this.

I bought 2 of the 20" Carlton bars recently to fit a 372 and a 365.

The bars are solid steel and made in Germany. They look top quality to me.

The bars are also a bargain compared to Oregon PowerMatch Plus.

I was also told by one the the people at Bailey's that eventually almost everything is going to be .050 gauge.

[snip]

I was also told by one the the people at Bailey's that eventually almost everything is going to be .050 gauge.

Maybe on the west coast of the US, but in the rest of the world Stihl's default 3/8 bar gauge is 0.063"/1.6mm and Husky and Dolmar use 0.058"/1.5mm so there will be plenty of 0.058" chain for a long, long time to come.

Maybe on the west coast of the US, but in the rest of the world Stihl's default 3/8 bar gauge is 0.063"/1.6mm and Husky and Dolmar use 0.058"/1.5mm so there will be plenty of 0.058" chain for a long, long time to come.

Maybe we can sell .058" and .063" guage chain back to the US Rick where we bought it from to start with? :)
I got asked for 100' of .404" Carlton Chipper a few months ago from a guy in the US (it was too expensive to post there from Australia). It amazes me that it is US made but the guy couldn't find any there to purchase. Just goes to show the crappy wood and conditions we must cut in sometimes :cheers:

Just put this one on, but the clear coat wasn't too thick. Price is definitely spectacular. Wish I could blame that stump on the new bar. It was earley in the morning, and the sun was in my eyes, and there wasn't much room to work, and, and...
026birchstump.jpg

Before I read your "explanation" I assumed it had just been a beaver at work.:)

Have 4 Carlton bars --special deals from Bailey's. Have no complaints. Great value in my opinion. Like them as well as anything I've used--much better than most.

Man I wish I wood have read this sooner!!!

Just broke in a new carlton bar with the clear-coat that turns into nasty stuff when heated up.

Will clean it tonight.

If the chain is blue is it ruined??? The bar does not have any blue on it at all. Really needed to hit the gas to get that chain moving in all that clear coat. Kept hitting it w/ wd-40.

I guess the best thing to do is clean them first before the heat hits them.

Man I wish I wood have read this sooner!!!

Just broke in a new carlton bar with the clear-coat that turns into nasty stuff when heated up.

Will clean it tonight.

If the chain is blue is it ruined??? The bar does not have any blue on it at all. Really needed to hit the gas to get that chain moving in all that clear coat. Kept hitting it w/ wd-40.

I guess the best thing to do is clean them first before the heat hits them.

If your chain has blued up it's not necessarily worthless but if overheated you'll find it won't wear as well as it used to. Unfortunately Carlton bars are copping a bad rap over this clear coat issue which seems to be limited to only the German made bars, not the Jap Tsumuras or newer rebadged Oregon bars.

I took and cleaned out the bar groove and top bar rail of all the clear coat. I used a knive and a small file. Take the knife and hold it as if your gonna cut the bar in two. Then just rake the knife down the bar. It will pull shavings of the clear coat off. Then some sand paper will take care of the rest. I used the file and knife to cleaned out the bar groove. Before I cleaned it out, the chain would not go in the bar groove.

If your chain has blued up it's not necessarily worthless but if overheated you'll find it won't wear as well as it used to. Unfortunately Carlton bars are copping a bad rap over this clear coat issue which seems to be limited to only the German made bars, not the Jap Tsumuras or newer rebadged Oregon bars.

Matt, WTH are you doing up at 3:00AM on a Sunday morning ?

Oh, and pops, just cleaning out the groove isn't enough on some of the German/Carlton bars, they need all the clearcoat removed as it melts and you get sawdust and wood chips impregnated into it, the bar cools and you have a woodside style bar, hence my recommendation above to use paint stripper.

Works a treat.

Last edited:
It cleaned up fine with paint stripper and a utility knife.
When I was cutting with it I hope I didn't reduce the life of my clutch because I had to full throttle it to get the darn chain moving and it was not too tight!!!! This is a brand new 7900 that I am on the second tank of gas on so I'll wait and see. I really like the bar and will get another one at that great price but I'll strip it first before I head to the woods. The blueing is on the bottom side of the chain links and on the bumpers, the actual cutting teeth are silver still. The way the saw behaved was like what happens when you get one pinched so I think it will be fine.

That 7900 is awesome

Pete

i've been very happy with the 20" i got for my 266 and with the chain as well and never had an issue with the clear coat. i'm thinking about getting a 30 or 34" for my 2100.

Matt, WTH are you doing up at 3:00AM on a Sunday morning ?

Sorry mum :cheers:

No internet hooked up to our new house yet so doing all my internetting on my phone (vewwy vewwy painful and slow). Woke up for a leak and thought I'd check AS - ended up awake till 6am :)

Back