Chainsaw coil question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiWhiz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a little McCullough MacCat chainsaw that I got running well, the issue is that it won't shut off with the kill switch. The wires going from the kill switch to the coil are good, the kill switch works as it should and the saw runs great. Is it possible that the coil is bad even though the saw runs.

It is possible that coil is faulty. They can (but rare) work perfectly fine but will not ground out to stop.

test continuity of switch. should be open/closed and then check for case ground on one side of switch with coltmeter. Thats the easy place to start anywho.
I checked the switch and wires to the coil for continuity and they checked out fine. I get .900k ohms on the primary and secondary so I think that it is bad but it runs fine that what doesn't make sense to me.

I checked the switch and wires to the coil for continuity and they checked out fine. I get .900k ohms on the primary and secondary so I think that it is bad but it runs fine that what doesn't make sense to me.

Likely just the internal connection that runs from the coil to the switch wire has failed, you can just remove the wire from the switch and ground it directly to the cylinder when the engine is running, if it does not shut the engine down then that circuit is broken.

I have a brushcutter on which the kill switch doesn't work, so I just turn it off with the choke. If it works well otherwise, why worry about it?

Back