Downsizing bar on ms290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwohioguy

Reaction score
So originally in 2010 I wentt with a 20" bar. RK did not have the yellow chain in stock. Recently exploring cheaper chain options. Anyway, I found an 18 Trilink with chain at Rural King for $15. Yes, all of the numbers bar wise were exact as original so no worries there etc. To get it to fit I had to remove screw in front of chain tension screw. Not sure if I would have to do same going to smaller Stihl bar? Anyway-chain cuts great. Not looking for a "stay OEM" fight etc. Just curious if anyone has run a tri link and run into this issue (of having to remove that screw?). TIA. Mainly this was a "just to get it done" type thing. Frankly, I thought it ran much better with 18". Furthermore, these chains are extremely cheap at times so the cost would outweigh a lot of things. Will keep the 20" bar for larger projects.

The cheaper bars are multi fit so they fit husky and stihl, things like the slot being too short happen, it's not a big deal.
I'd grind or file the slot a little longer in the bar so you can put the little screw back in, the bar oiler plate may come loose without it.

Im one of the few guys on this site who doesnt like 20 inch bars on 50cc saws. I run 15 or 16 inch bars on them. It's hard to tell the difference between those sizes, I think oregon made the 15 because 16 inch .325 is an odd drive link amount with two left cutters back to back lol.

Latest posts

Back