Chainsaw Milling Saw Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor57

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been doing some light milling using a Husky 455 but want to mill some larger stuff now. Been enjoying milling thus far so now I'm looking to get a more dedicated milling saw. Looking at Husky 390 XP or a 395 XP. Thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks

I have been doing some light milling using a Husky 455 but want to mill some larger stuff now. Been enjoying milling thus far so now I'm looking to get a more dedicated milling saw. Looking at Husky 390 XP or a 395 XP. Thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
Either are great milling saws. New or used? If buying new, would get the extra oomph of the 395 for minimally greater cost.

Very much appreciate the input. I should mention that this is really just for woodworking hobby stuff. I don't plan to be milling logs for hours and days at a time. Will really be more occasionally when i come across a nice tree on the property that I can build something with. So would this be overkill for that type of work? The 455 works OK but I haven't cut oak or maple with it yet. Afraid if i burn it up milling something, ill be SOL for a firewood saw and then have to go buy 2 new saws. Maybe I'm' overthinking this (I tend to).

Comes down to what you plan on milling & how much you will be using the saw off the mill. 385/390 is more "nimble" if you're planning on felling & bucking a bit with it... for all out grunt (what you want if you're expecting to run a +42" bar) the 395 definitely wears the pants, it just lacks some of the ergonomics. Stihls MS660 sits somewhere in between them.

Very much appreciate the input. I should mention that this is really just for woodworking hobby stuff. I don't plan to be milling logs for hours and days at a time. Will really be more occasionally when i come across a nice tree on the property that I can build something with. So would this be overkill for that type of work? The 455 works OK but I haven't cut oak or maple with it yet. Afraid if i burn it up milling something, ill be SOL for a firewood saw and then have to go buy 2 new saws. Maybe I'm' overthinking this (I tend to).
Knowing this, a 90+cc saw is a little overkill for your needs unless it's a great second hand bargain. Everyone new to milling is instructed to get a 90+cc saw. Two thirds of the folks getting into it in the last few years are milling for the same purposes you are, not doing it on a regular basis, and don't really need a large dedicated milling saw. There's an MS661C for $950 in Amsterdam near Schenectady, don't know where you are upstate. There's also a Husky 576XP for $550 which would do you fine for anything through 24" width w regular 3/8 chain on a 30" bar, and be more of an all purpose larger saw. It's on FB Marketplace in Athol. Would run a 36" 3/8LP bar effortlessly.

A lot of folks are milling with the china clone saws. I have a couple. The latest one is this neotec nh895 (395xp clone). It was $291 delivered with a 36" bar and chain. I've been testing it out a little and it runs quite well. Neotec customer service is excellent. 20240607_160721.jpg

Very much appreciate the input. I should mention that this is really just for woodworking hobby stuff. I don't plan to be milling logs for hours and days at a time. Will really be more occasionally when i come across a nice tree on the property that I can build something with. So would this be overkill for that type of work? The 455 works OK but I haven't cut oak or maple with it yet. Afraid if i burn it up milling something, I’ll be SOL for a firewood saw and then have to go buy 2 new saws. Maybe I'm' overthinking this (I tend to).
I’m of the school that there is no such thing as overkill.

Back