Chainsaw Repair Manuals/Books/Videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchausen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Folks,

Poulan won't tell me how to adjust the carburetor on (in) my Wood Shark Model 1500. As a matter of fact, Poulan won't tell me doodly squat about the innards of the doggoned thing. (Frankly, I'm embarrassed to admit that my frugality overcame my logic a couple of years ago when I bought it on sale.) The ECHO people gladly explain to me how to do just about everything I want to do to my ECHO 452-VL.

Knowing that "If you give a man a fish and you feed him for one day; teach him how to fish and you feed him for the rest of his life," is there anyone who can get me a service manual on the Poulan I've got?

I'll be dipped in 30-weight and covered in shavings before I'll fall prey to Poulan's predatory tactics and plunk down $25.00 MORE to have somebody who knows what he's doing go at it with a screw driver.

A while back car makers didn't want to sell service manuals to the public or admit anyone other than dealer techs to their training classes. They were sued and the information was deemed non-proprietary (sp). In my opinion the same thing should apply to chainsaws. On the other hand their legal departments might be so scared of someone screwing up and hurting themselves only to sue and claim "that's what the manual said to do".

sounds like you need to junk the poulan and get a saw from your local dealer - because frankly poulan is consumer junk.

Buy from your dealer and leave it in their hands - on the other hand this could be a great saw to learn on - you said echo gave you all the help you asked for - no difference in the carb adjustment - same deal exactl, their instruction should work as well as any other manufacturer.:)

PS. you need to search on this site for carb adjustment - weve been through this almost as many times as premium vs. regular.....:blob2:

Last edited:
I don't get it. When I got into riding dirtbikes I bought the factory service manual and it describes how to disassemble and repair every single thing on the bike!! Considering the amount of people who ride and get hurt and even killed it's amazing they'd be worried about chainsaws.

I'll bet there are more serious injuries per user for chainsaws than there are for dirtbikes. I know a few people who've been tossed off dirt bikes and limped for a week or two, show me one chainsaw injury that didn't require a few stitches.

Hey Sedan, there's plenty of chainsaw accidents that don't require any stitches- commonly referred to as "closed casket" :eek:

Some chainsaw users know that the chainsaw can be a dangerous tool, but some don't. I dare say you won't find many middle-aged suburbanites jumping on a Yamaha motocrosser as a first motorcycle, although it amazes me the number of people with more cash (or credit) than sense getting on the waiting list for a new hawg.

Originally posted by sedanman
I'll bet there are more serious injuries per user for chainsaws than there are for dirtbikes. .
I'd take that bet, just check in on a dirtbike forum some time;) Went under the knife myself last summer for my knee.

chainsaw tech info

Intertech publishing produces an extensive Chainsaw Service Manual The 10th edition. You can order it from any book store but I ordered from a local Tractor Supply Store (TSC).Its ISBN # is 0-87288-705-7 or you could call Intertec at 1-800-262-1954. It covers almost all chainsaw models and has an extensive Poulan section although I didn't see your model at a quick glance. Carb ajustments are included on every model and also broken down by carb model in the carb and engine trouble shooting section at the front of the book.I think it cost about $40 CDN up here.Good luck Dieseldog!

Toddppm, I'm not talking about the number of injuries, rather the severity. You had knee surgury to fix a non-life threating injury. Soft tissue (no bloodletting) injuries are not commom with a chainsaw. If you get hurt with a chainsaw YOU'RE BLEEDING!

I dont know if youd consider it an injury but bashing the bar into your shin due to drop starting a rather large saw with no compression release doesnt always result in blood, that is unless you didnt have the chain break on. But you didnt hear me say that.

0872887057.01._PE30_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0872887057/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/104-9367327-0932727

Back