Chainsaws after an EMP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever a few million dollars happens to find me, a Faraday Cage is on my want-list
I'm pretty sure that you could make one from dead microwave ovens.. Maybe get some from scrap, or a repair place.

https://www.google.com/search?q=far...NDM4M2owajE1qAIIsAIB&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Might save a few bucks.. LOL..

But, if there was ever a EMP, of that magnitude, it'd be the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse. Ya might want to own a really old generator (point ignition).

At least gunpowder is unaffected by a pulse :)

My silky 500 is EMP proof…but would like to have a 650 with a few extra blades. $$$

Product thumbnail view 4

The real question is where are you going to get gasoline to power your EMP proofed chainsaw after the apocalypse. Acquire a one man crosscut saw a.k.a misery whip and learn how to keep it sharp. It will keep you in shape and won't announce your presence to the commies.
My 5 foot Simonds is at the ready once my current 3 year ahead firewood pile is used up. Axes and splitting wedges are all sharp and ready to go as long as my health holds up I won`t freeze, may starve if food can`t be grown.

Pretty sure simple electronics that are solid state like a standard chainsaw would be fine after a emp, if not in use during the event. Circuit boards with keep alive memory on the other hand would not be so lucky.

It was a soft, warm night, with just a hint of mist in the air.. Suddenly.. There was a purple glow.. Just over the horizon. Instinctively, I grabbed my cell phone, to take a picture.. But the purple light quickly faded from view. But WTF?? My cell phone screen was blank!! I knew that it wasn't the battery, as I'd charged it before leaving the house, to head for my Chainsaw shed.
I stopped by my truck on the way to the shed, to see if there was anything on the radio. WTF.. again!! My remote wouldn't talk to the doors?!? It'd been years since I'd actually used the key in the lock, to get in the truck, so, it took a bit of jiggling, and a squirt of WD-40 from the tool box in the back, to get the door open.
Nothing!! Nada!! Ziltch!! The truck was deader than my Ex's Vag.. And that's cold !!
I couldn't stop my "Spidey Sense" from tingling.. I tried to deny it to myself, but I knew, deep down, that it was an E.M.P. Some "bad actor" had let off what is also called a "Pinch Device", and the world was never gonna be the same..
There was only one thing left to do..
Go to the Chainsaw shed, get the Stihl out of the Faraday cage, made from tacked together microwave doors, and do my best to prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse....

There.. O.K... It don't get no more ridiculous than that, does it.. Can we stop this before it gets worse..

It was a soft, warm night, with just a hint of mist in the air.. Suddenly.. There was a purple glow.. Just over the horizon. Instinctively, I grabbed my cell phone, to take a picture.. But the purple light quickly faded from view. But WTF?? My cell phone screen was blank!! I knew that it wasn't the battery, as I'd charged it before leaving the house, to head for my Chainsaw shed.
I stopped by my truck on the way to the shed, to see if there was anything on the radio. WTF.. again!! My remote wouldn't talk to the doors?!? It'd been years since I'd actually used the key in the lock, to get in the truck, so, it took a bit of jiggling, and a squirt of WD-40 from the tool box in the back, to get the door open.
Nothing!! Nada!! Ziltch!! The truck was deader than my Ex's Vag.. And that's cold !!
I couldn't stop my "Spidey Sense" from tingling.. I tried to deny it to myself, but I knew, deep down, that it was an E.M.P. Some "bad actor" had let off what is also called a "Pinch Device", and the world was never gonna be the same..
There was only one thing left to do..
Go to the Chainsaw shed, get the Stihl out of the Faraday cage, made from tacked together microwave doors, and do my best to prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse....

There.. O.K... It don't get no more ridiculous than that, does it.. Can we stop this before it gets worse..
Kinda interesting if you ask me.

.... I knew what was coming... I had seen the movies... so I blew out the pilot light on the stove, lit a candle on the other side of the room and turned the oven on. I knew my tablet wouldn't play solitaire so I dug that old pack of cards out from the bottom of my go bag and sat down at the kitchen table for one last hand. Maybe I'll win this time...

The real question is where are you going to get gasoline to power your EMP proofed chainsaw after the apocalypse.

I currently have 5 gallons of Stihl MotoMix which can store in an unopened can for several decades. I'm not a doomsday prepper per se, but I like to stay stocked up. I do keep about 10 - 15 gallons of non-ethanol fuel on hand. All three of my vehicles are diesel, the tractor is diesel, and the John Deere Gator is diesel. For that reason, I try to keep a good 500+ gallons of diesel stored.

Pretty expensive for a roll of (aluminum foil). If you are that anal about an EMP, just wrap your power head in foil and be happy. Not that you'll need it anyway because nothing else will work, like gas pumps or your house power or anything so a protected saw is way down on the list in my view. I don't believe it will ever occur anyway.
Do you have to shape it into the form of a hat?

I currently have 5 gallons of Stihl MotoMix which can store in an unopened can for several decades. I'm not a doomsday prepper per se, but I like to stay stocked up. I do keep about 10 - 15 gallons of non-ethanol fuel on hand. All three of my vehicles are diesel, the tractor is diesel, and the John Deere Gator is diesel. For that reason, I try to keep a good 500+ gallons of diesel stored.
Decades is a push to say the least. 5-6 years in an un opened can is more realistic. In saw 2-3 would be about all it's got. Canned fuel dies store well, but not nearly long enough to keep you fueled for decades.

If you are determined to worry about an EMP event then worry about supply chain disruption caused by power and information grid failure.
Modern industry and transportation is critically dependent on automated systems which may well be at best needing a reset and at worst littered with faulty components. And with everyone needing the same batch of widgets to repair it could be a very long time before normality is restored.

Food and keeping it will be the thing first on the mind.

Small isolated electrical systems will be OK due to the limited power available in the pulse at frequencies where the circuit size is near a half wavelength.

Damage is done to things with wires plugged into them for power and communications. Long wires will act as antennas bringing high pulsed disturbance
power into devices.

So just before the EMP unplug everything.....

@Chucksta waiting on the movie...
@Haywire Haywood not much of a movie in yours but it would make for an action packed short clip ;)

I'll call it... The Final Hand. It'll be a cliff hanger... There will be a ragged ace of spades floating down in a cloud of debris and you'll have to guess whether he wins or not.

Back