Chinesium

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no she got chicken feet with a chicken beek and I have no clue what to do. I need a chicken plucker first.......lol she has more body hair than I do......

I have a new husky 353 I purchased hardley ever used it. At the time I purchased three new saws a 385xp,575 xp, 353. Cut 20 cords of big diameter wood while the 353 watched. Probably should sell the 353.

Well, it turned out to not be what I expected. I've been keeping an eye out for a replacement piston for Dolmar 5100s and 5105s besides OEM which are pricey and VEC which work great but aren't great for people that want to grind on their cylinders. Also, the lack of headspace on those models pretty much demands the use of a base gasket, so there is no good way for people without a lathe and four jaw chuck to increase compression.

Then I was turned onto the news that Hyway was going to start offering some popup pistons. I'm sure that many of you have seen the fella in Austrailia testing the 066 model. Another of the models coming is the Husqvarna 353 and all of the variants. This got me a little giddy because I had read somewhere about using 353 and/or 51 pistons in the 51xx, but there was not a lot of detail. So that's what led me to the box in the mail yesterday.

I measured the two pistons today and everything matches except for the piston pin height. It's close to 3mm different between the Dolmar and Husky pistons. So apparently I was mistaken or there was more machine work needed other that trimming the skirts to make the 353 piston work.

Not all is lost though, because I have a couple of the small three series saws around in project form, and in red. So I can still report on any performance gains from the new popup piston on that saw. But, as usual with me, info and progress will be slow as saws are a side hobby to any side work I have to do at home. Here are some pics of the popup and non-popup Hyway pistons. If I only show one measurement of something assume they are the same, because they measured the same in every way except the popup. Would anyone like any other measurements?

Latest posts

Back