Chubby Chasin', Woodaholic Style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongback

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The big piece is 54" across and a bit under 6' long.
The little piece is 46" across and also just under 6' long.

These big boys have been sitting in the front yard of a house around the corner from mine for a while now. When I finally got a chance to ask the home owner whether I could have it or not all she could say was "Thank the Lord!"

In the before pictures, You can see the cuts from others who have gone before me and gave up. According to the homeowner there have been a few people who started in on these bad boys and got sent packing. One rip-off artist "offered" to take the tree for $2500. Yes, that is a 2 and a 5 followed by two zeros.

So me and my wood buddy (that's him in the pictures) got after it yesterday. I've only got a husky 455 rancher and my friends only got a craftsman so that just made a big piece of wood seem to grow as I started to cut. Fortunately, in the case of the bigger piece, the heartwood was hollow/rotted and that allowed my diminutive 20" blade to reach from the outside to the hollow so that we could pull it apart in quarters. Unfortunately, the hollow got smaller as we went and each section required more creative use of the little Rancher. More unfortunate still, is that the "little piece" is solid and 6 inches too big so I'll have to slice a couple of slabs off of it to get it done.

You can see in the last picture that just the 3, 16" long sections plus a little bit of what was left behind by others filled my bed well enough that we couldn't raise the tailgate. I'd guesstimate that each quarter was pushing 200 lbs. Not so bad getting them off of the top half but I think I'll be forced to split the bottom into eighths to save our backs. It took us about 2 hours to get what we got off of it but I think with a couple of lessons learned we should be able to get these buxom beauties carted off to the woodpile over the weekend.

Before I get flamed about PPE, know that I did all of the cutting and I was wearing chaps, steel toed boots and a mesh visor/ear protection combo.

Gotta love a challenge. So when do you get your $2500 for taking that worthless wood off her property?:jawdrop:

I was afraid she'd see how much fun I was having and decide to charge me for taking it! I'm just happy to be getting some more wood for the piles. I figure it should make a cord and a half of solid oak so I'll settle for the $300-$400 heating oil equivalant.

Great job on that monster using your "surgical tools". I fully appreciate the fun/work you had cutting that big tree up with your smaller saws - I once cut a 30" hickory up with an 18" bar with 0.325 chain - and it convinced me that I needed to own a "big" saw.

Last fall there was a big old dead Elm tree in the town I work that started to become unsafe. The tree was right beside a little side street and limbs started sagging and dropping on the road. The owner hired a tree service to drop the tree and chip up the brush - but they just left the tree on the ground and offered the wood to anyone that wanted it. All the little stuff disappeared pretty quickly - who can resist seasoned firewood that is right beside the road and you only have to carry wood 10 feet to put it in your truck. The large main trunk didn't have any takers......it was big and heavy and most people didn't have a saw that could reach through the trunk. For me the timing was perfect as I had just bought a used peavey hook from eBay and my first big saw - a barely used MS660 with a 32" bar. The saw couldn't quite reach through the bottom of the trunk where three stems joined into one large trunk - but had no problem reaching through the individual trunks that started about 10 feet from the bottom. I cut them into 24" rounds - and then had a ton of fun making noodles as I cut the rounds into halves or quarters so I could roll or carry them to the trailer. I really like my saw.....and only regret that most trees I get are only about a foot in diameter and don't need the 660.

oneold--that may be true about the 660--but when you need a burly saw--its there--and you just know sometime in the future, someone wont have a big enough saw to cut the big stuff---

nice score.
makes me wonder about adding a 660 to my herd. thought about adding a 361..

I just heard my CSM crying...

Yeah I know. I was trying to figure out how to get some usable wood off of this but I just don't have the equipment to do it in what I'd consider a timely fashion. The cuts that run along the grain have left some very pretty wood showing. On the other hand, there is some foreign metal matter in the wood and it'd be a shame to mess up more expensive gear.

A cheap metal detector and put an old chain on and cut the metal out. CSMing can be done on the cheap. The milling section here is full of good information. I don’t get trees like yours very often so my CSM sits dusty. I have a little LL24 band mill to feed my addiction. Very nice work cutting that log up, Big log + Big work = lots of wood.

No pics, but my 20" bar goes on for dicing up the 48" silver maple in my wood pile, it's a good gauge so the pieces are just the right size.

We HAVE been patient. ( the wolves are hungry )

Pics !

Pics !

Pics !

Pics !

AhrooooooooOOOooo

heh heh heh tell her they are for a good cause

Nice another huge tree falls victim to the 455! i went after this tree just to say i did it with my 455 and 18"bar.

I posted in your thread. It was what prompted me to take a camera with me to get pictures of my 455 vs. Goliath. Just goes to show it ain't the size of the blade... I hope to see the little chainsaw vs. the big log as a recurrent theme.

Back