Cleaning my dads estate and have 5 chainsaws here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffpack1957

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleaning my dads estate found 5 orphaned chainsaws. He told me they worked when pout away, but they have sat probably for several decades

So I'm trying to figure out do I give them away, get them running, is it even worth anything to get them running, etc.

- Jonsered 2041
- Shindawa 360
- Stihl 011AVT
- Stihl 021
- Stihl 031AV (its pretty ratty looking)

I wouldnt mind a small saw to keep in my offroad vehicle for fallen trees. Was debating keeping the 011

Thankyou for any insight

I have 2 Stihl 009Ls and a 010 as well. They are all the same series and share almost all the same parts as the 011 and 012

The 009L are 41cc and the 011 should be as well so you have heaps of power in a small saw, more than the 021 @35cc anyway

They are fantastic little saws (as long as everything works) they can have an oiler problem with a complex little diaphragm pump system which if faulty can be hard to find. If it has been sitting for a while i would recommend getting a carby refirb kit and if you are able pull the welch plug and clean out the idle jet hole. All three of mine had idle issues until i cleaned the idle port, its a tiny little hole that can clog very easily but once clean purrs like an angry kitten.

Being an older Stihl they are a little bit tricky to work on, not as simple a design as they new models. That being said they were built a lot tougher than the new models so if everything works as it should there is no reason why you shouldnt be able to get years of use out of it

Post on the "Beg for Manuals" thread and you will get the service manual and IPLs easily.

I have 2 Stihl 009Ls and a 010 as well. They are all the same series and share almost all the same parts as the 011 and 012

The 009L are 41cc and the 011 should be as well so you have heaps of power in a small saw, more than the 021 @35cc anyway

They are fantastic little saws (as long as everything works) they can have an oiler problem with a complex little diaphragm pump system which if faulty can be hard to find. If it has been sitting for a while i would recommend getting a carby refirb kit and if you are able pull the welch plug and clean out the idle jet hole. All three of mine had idle issues until i cleaned the idle port, its a tiny little hole that can clog very easily but once clean purrs like an angry kitten.

Being an older Stihl they are a little bit tricky to work on, not as simple a design as they new models. That being said they were built a lot tougher than the new models so if everything works as it should there is no reason why you shouldnt be able to get years of use out of it

Post on the "Beg for Manuals" thread and you will get the service manual and IPLs easily.
got it all tuned up and running, but it throws a poop ton of oil

Back