Clutch bearing lube: grease, oil, or what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip Wheelock

Finis Origine Pendet
Reaction score
Local repair tech advised that 30w oil was a better choice for clutch bearings as grease tends to dry up and harden between the bearings until they don't turn and the crankshaft gets scuffed. I did see evidence of hardened grease in the bearing, so changed to oil, but seems like the bearing goes dry pretty quick. Any better options to 1. Using grease and removing hardened grease periodically or 2. Applying 30w oil at more frequent intervals? I know this is a bit OCD but I'd rather minimize longterm wear on the crankshaft if I can. Thanks.

Last edited:
Use simple grease and regrease (as an average homeowner) once a year(with pro use of course much more often). No need for any oil on that part that was designed to accept grease.

The only time that bearing is used is when the engine is running and the chain is not turning, I just give it a dab of grease when I change the sprocket.
Not the sort of thing I worry about too much :msp_smile:

Pretty much a "non-issue". Wouldn't worry about it one way or the other, they put a dad of grease on it at the factory, so a dab every 20 or so years will do. I shudder to think about some newbe trying to pull a clutch for that reason alone.

I am an old bicycle tech so I tend to like white lithium grease, but am thinking of going to some moly based. But, you dont need much and it doesnt wear out real quick either.

Latest posts

Back