Clutch Modifications

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lync

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This post came to mind while responding to sting's post re;
026 vs351/55R. With all the cylinder and exaust modifications being performed, is there any changes to the clutch, to make it hold longer before it slips to prevent stalling. My point is with the additional torque and chain speed being produced , I would think that you would want the clutch to transfer the power to the bar and chain to the higest point in the power band possible. The factory sets up the clutch to slip when the bar and chain either get pinched or cause too much resistance. The additional power produced would allow he motor to pull more weight, why would
you want the clutch to slip when the motoer still has the power to pull the load. The only reason that comes to mind is kickback.
Hope I expressed myself in a way that could be understood.:confused:

saw clutches are not designed to "slip". they are designed to engage at a certain rpm, and stay engaged throughout the powerband of the engine. you never want to deliberately put such a high load on a saw as to make the clutch slip. a clutch can be severely damaged if allowed to slip under power. also most two stroke engines make most of their power in the upper rpm ranges. to load them up so much as to cause the rpms to drop down below the powerband is not wise. a dull or improperly sharpened chain can also cause the motor and or clutch to work extra hard, which causes excess heat, and premature failure.

Latest posts

Back