skidding logs with a tractor? or?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just feel like John Deere or Kubota, you are paying for the name. and if you want extras you have to pay for them, when Kioti and TYM come standard with extra rear remotes. plus the lift capacity is higher than the others. I would think they would have improved on quality in the last 20 yrs.
Certainly there's some paying for the name, however I have to agree with @Lionsfan I can get nearly every part for my old man's 74 L series from kubota, and any part i need for B series. Same can be said for deere, case etc. Not a knock on tym or kioti but they just arnt that good. (At least around here.) There's also the dealer trust thing, which I don't have much for most. Messicks is one of the better ones, and they are fairly close to me. I can't comment on the tym dealer. Kioti already proved plenty of times they ain't got what it takes. (Regonal issue hopefully.)
loader lift specs arnt everything and unless they are taking the ratings from the same spot. (Pin, however many inches in front of the pin, quick attach etc.) You can figure they will be close to the same. Look at break out force and tipping weight for a better comparison. (If either are given) in truth most loaders will lift about the same in any given size tractor, you're usually limited to the tires, not mechanically.
You got me on the rear remote, that should be a standard option on all tractors, however I'll point out that, thats fairly standard with other tractors too. The T4.75 new Holland we got, we had to option in the second and third rear remote. (I think we could get up to 4 rear remotes.) I can't remember exactly, but I think the case and deer we about the same.

Have not been reading along but, when we lived in Ohio many years ago, we rented a home in the country that had a large woodlot on the back 40 and the landlord allowed me to cut and haul out downed wood, mostly hardwood and the house had a woodburning furnace and we used it.

At that time I bought an old International Farmall A, 4 cylinder gas tractor and I skidded the logs with it all the time. Paid like a grand for it, was a 1946, 4 speed gear drive, no front wheel assist but had R1's on the back and a differential lock. I skidded whole trees out with it for the 3 years we lived there, never had an issue.

Up here in the farm (I farm now, part time) I own a pair of Kubota M9000's, turbo diesels, front wheel assist and the both have a lot of ground clearance and I use them to skid out timber as well, but nothing underneath to catch on anything like say a mower. They are ag-utility tractors, both have front end loaders and I remove the buckets when I'm in the woods out back and I use the drawbar, chain and clevis to drag logs. I would never own a HST tractor, they are for non ag use anyway. My units each weigh about 7,000 pounds each and make 93 PTO horsepower and both have R1 tires and locking diff's. They have around 13" of ground clearance and you won't buy one for 15 grand either. I bought them new in 2002 and each was around 56 grand.

You don't want any tractor with a belly mower as you have no ground clearance any way. Get yourself an old gas powered unit in good running condition and use it and leave the lawn mowing to a lawn mower.

In today's market, about all you'll get is an older gasser for 15 grand. Look on Tractor House for a used one in good condition. Brand is inconsequential. Lots of older used ones on Tractor House for sale.

Forget new. All 15 grand will get you is a good down payment and a payment book and not much else.

My 2 cents.

John Deere is based in Waterloo, Iowa.

Just sayin'.
JD world HQ is Moline, IL. Waterloo Works is a shadow of its former self. They assemble the large tractors there. None of us on this list will be buying a waterloo tractor. Most are selling for over $1,000,000 now. JD small tractors are Yanmar, with some made in USA components. Somehow JD has finagled a way to be able to call them Made in USA. Yanmar and kubota are good tractors. JD just announced huge layoffs. Shipping work to Mexico and some other country. JD Manheim works used to assemble the midrange tractors in Germany. I don't know what is done in the Manheim works now.

Have not been reading along but, when we lived in Ohio many years ago, we rented a home in the country that had a large woodlot on the back 40 and the landlord allowed me to cut and haul out downed wood, mostly hardwood and the house had a woodburning furnace and we used it.

At that time I bought an old International Farmall A, 4 cylinder gas tractor and I skidded the logs with it all the time. Paid like a grand for it, was a 1946, 4 speed gear drive, no front wheel assist but had R1's on the back and a differential lock. I skidded whole trees out with it for the 3 years we lived there, never had an issue.

Up here in the farm (I farm now, part time) I own a pair of Kubota M9000's, turbo diesels, front wheel assist and the both have a lot of ground clearance and I use them to skid out timber as well, but nothing underneath to catch on anything like say a mower. They are ag-utility tractors, both have front end loaders and I remove the buckets when I'm in the woods out back and I use the drawbar, chain and clevis to drag logs. I would never own a HST tractor, they are for non ag use anyway. My units each weigh about 7,000 pounds each and make 93 PTO horsepower and both have R1 tires and locking diff's. They have around 13" of ground clearance and you won't buy one for 15 grand either. I bought them new in 2002 and each was around 56 grand.

You don't want any tractor with a belly mower as you have no ground clearance any way. Get yourself an old gas powered unit in good running condition and use it and leave the lawn mowing to a lawn mower.

In today's market, about all you'll get is an older gasser for 15 grand. Look on Tractor House for a used one in good condition. Brand is inconsequential. Lots of older used ones on Tractor House for sale.

Forget new. All 15 grand will get you is a good down payment and a payment book and not much else.

My 2 cents.
There are bargains available at times. Farm sales, and sometimes tractor scrapyards have deals. I have been using my Farmall H for skidding. Not ideal. (25 HP, but large frame and 36" tires) THis method gets a lot of sand in the bark, unless you can skid on snow. When we had JDs, I skidded winter only with 1530 with the post hole auger frame. 1. it acted as a wheelie bar, to prevent backflips. 2. allowed using 3 pt hitch to control the weight on the rear tires. 1530 had a diff lock. Still allowed use of brakes for steering. Allows picking up one end of smaller logs to lessen dirt adhesion. I pulled some huge logs out of impossible situations with that rig.

Ok. I'll take your word for that. I haven't been up that way for a long time.

Still, if they are building the big tractors there, we shouldn't be excluding Iowa from the list states that represent "Made in America".

BTW: when I was hauling flatbed freight back in 1983, I was picking up a lot of loads from the small John Deere factories in the North. The bulk of our freight was painted green, and the company I was driving for was also based in Waterloo. I made regular trips to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Quad cities... They had little lawnmower and small tractor plants all over. I was aware, however, that they were phasing the plants out and moving to overseas manufacturing.
Before too long, they were shutting the plants and all the small tractor freight dried up.​

My 2 cents.
Why wouldn't you own an hst machine??

20240501_173824.jpg20241013_125059.jpg

Thumb or forks on my baby tractor work for me. I also have a winch to skid wood into place in tight spots.
Home made belly cover to protect fan and filter.

Ok. I'll take your word for that. I haven't been up that way for a long time.

Still, if they are building the big tractors there, we shouldn't be excluding Iowa from the list states that represent "Made in America".

BTW: when I was hauling flatbed freight back in 1983, I was picking up a lot of loads from the small John Deere factories in the North. The bulk of our freight was painted green, and the company I was driving for was also based in Waterloo. I made regular trips to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Quad cities... They had little lawnmower and small tractor plants all over. I was aware, however, that they were phasing the plants out and moving to overseas manufacturing.
Before too long, they were shutting the plants and all the small tractor freight dried up.​
That list was exclusive to kubota, had nothing to do with deere.

Latest posts

Back