correct file size for .325 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZEbbEDY

Reaction score
Hi there I recently got a chain saw, the chain package says .325 .058 x 76DL (20 inch bar)

i took the chain packet into my local shop and gave it to the guy and said I was looking for a sharpening kit, he took me over and said this is the one I need, now i get it home it looks bigger than the cheapy one i got supplied with the chainsaw, is this wrong, should i take it back?

Oregon Filing Kit Pouch - 3/16" (4.8mm)

thanks in advance for any help

thanks so much for the prompt reply, seems the file i got with it was 5/32", seems like it fits better as the 3/16"

hypothetically speaking lets say the correct file size is 5/32"

what effect on the chain would sharpening it with the 4.8mm file have

The file diameter is less important than how far down on the tooth the file rides. The farther down it rides the more knife edge it makes, which will cut faster but dull quicker.
When the file is high on the tooth you get more of a bull dozer edge that don't cut as easily.

Did the kit have some sort of device so that only 20% of the diameter is kept above the top of the tooth? That is the general rule.

There are some obsolete 0.325 chains that call for 11/64 like 33 34 35 sl or lg. Low profile 0.325
5/32 is almost always what is called for picco or 3/8lp.

Depends on the chain. Generally a 3/16 file is recommended on most (Oregon and Carlton) chains, however there are some chain profiles take well to a slightly over or under sized file.

not to start a file size war here but the 5/32 file is the correct file for .325 chain if you look on a .325 chain package that has the file size printed on it, it always says that. that also cuts under the tooth more which will make it cut faster, but will dull a little faster as stated above

not to start a file size war here but the 5/32 file is the correct file for .325 chain if you look on a .325 chain package that has the file size printed on it, it always says that. that also cuts under the tooth more which will make it cut faster, but will dull a little faster as stated above
Wrong. I signed up for this forum just because the lack of truth here during my search. Oregon website and Stihl website state many times the correct size and have downloadable charts. But here's the package dude claims but is incorrect. 0.325" pitch takes a 3/16" file. Unless stated as a special design.

Attachments

• 20200508_113233.jpg
    20200508_113233.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • 20200508_113242.jpg
    20200508_113242.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 66
Different brands and models have a different height cutter, so I always look at the chain if possible,
also the farther back, the lower the cutter. So I always hold it up and see.
Here is a good manual to read.

Attachments

• barchain.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 64
Take a gander at this thread for some file info:
.https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-pitch-file-size.25456/

Sharpening with the wrong size file is not a good thing. I speak from experience.
Now days I take a marks a lot permanent marker and label my saws as to what file I should use. Good idea when you have several different saw/chain combo's.
I also have a little Oregon plastic pitch gauge that I use to quickly ID the chain pitch. (good if you have several chains or trying to match and chains pitch, and then convert pitch to file size)
Oregon Measuring Tool 556418 @ about $4.

Keep a heads up though when you get into picco chains, sometimes call LP or Low Profile. Their Pitch vs file sizes are different as listed by the file charts.

Genaraly 4,8mm 3/16 on a .325 chain but on the ‘’new’’ stihl RS pro .325 chain 1.3 mm gauge I have found out that in the beginning the 5,2mm 13/64 works best, than the 4,8 mm and the last bit of the tooth the 4,5 mm 11/64 size file. So 3 different sized files. 5,2-4,8 and 4,5.

The first post claims he has .325 .058 x 76DL (20 inch bar)
That's the chain the knock off 50cc saws come with, it's pretty random cutter size wise.
I have a couple, the semi chisel chain is pretty low profile and the 5/32 file fits good but the full chisel one is normal sized and the 3/16 is best.
It could take the 5/32 file, F knows how big the cutters are on that chain lol.

I will say that 16’’ inch bar is enough on a 50 cc saw, 18 for a 60cc and 20-22 for a 70cc saw. In Norway we use mutch shorter bar than in USA. For a long time 40-50cc and 13’’ inch bar was the standard in Norwegian forestry, but I prefer a 16 bar on my 261, have 12 inch on my 201 for limbing and 14 on a 241.

I will say that 16’’ inch bar is enough on a 50 cc saw, 18 for a 60cc and 20-22 for a 70cc saw. In Norway we use mutch shorter bar than in USA. For a long time 40-50cc and 13’’ inch bar was the standard in Norwegian forestry, but I prefer a 16 bar on my 261, have 12 inch on my 201 for limbing and 14 on a 241.
We use similar bar lengths in my area in canada too.
A 50-60cc saw with a 16 inch bar is the most common set up and the 70 plus cc saws have 20's.
The local store stocks 16 inch bars and chains for most all saws, you have to order in something longer.

The 20 inch bar that came on my china saw is the spare/stump set up, I have a 16 inch bar on it most of the time.

Ok, I get most of my information about the US forestry from YouTube and bucking Billy ray, he may not be representative for everyone.. my brother says USA is not a land its a continent, its so Big. But isent Canada even bigger?

Ok, I get most of my information about the US forestry from YouTube and bucking Billy ray, he may not be representative for everyone.. my brother says USA is not a land its a continent, its so Big. But isent Canada even bigger?
Youtube and the people on it are weird, it's entertaining but not 100% true or useful.
The majority of the guys out cutting wood everyday dont ever post anything on the internet.
Buckin is retired from working full time and makes videos for his income. He likes really long bars, big dogs and full wraps. Where I live on the east coast those items suck we just dont need them and they're in the way.

Hi guys,

I recently lent out my 026 to a friend with a fresh (factory sharpened) Oregon .325 full-chisel chain. It came back with a 13/64" file that he picked up at a Stihl dealer and used to sharpen it. By hand. The guy at the shop told him to use it instead of the 3/16" file I supplied him. It cuts like a beast-much better than when it left. What's your thoughts on this?
The more I read about this the more I think the dealer gave him this file thinking it was a 3/8" chain instead of .325". It seems Some manufacturers recommend 13/64" for some 3/8" chain...

Hi guys,

I recently lent out my 026 to a friend with a fresh (factory sharpened) Oregon .325 full-chisel chain. It came back with a 13/64" file that he picked up at a Stihl dealer and used to sharpen it. By hand. The guy at the shop told him to use it instead of the 3/16" file I supplied him. It cuts like a beast-much better than when it left. What's your thoughts on this?

If you know how to freehand hand file you can still get a workable edge.

Holders will effect where the file sets/hook. You can shim (match book cover works) holders to allow smaller files to work correctly in bigger holders.

13/64 is only 1/64 bigger than 3/16, 1/64 smaller than 7/32

Stihl recommends 13/64 on their 3/8 chain but 7/32 (14/64) will work fine. I've used 5/32 rather than 3/16 (6/32) on 0.325 chain and that works too.

If you know how to freehand hand file you can still get a workable edge.

Holders will effect where the file sets/hook. You can shim (match book cover works) holders to allow smaller files to work correctly in bigger holders.

13/64 is only 1/64 bigger than 3/16, 1/64 smaller than 7/32

Stihl recommends 13/64 on their 3/8 chain but 7/32 (14/64) will work fine. I've used 5/32 rather than 3/16 (6/32) on 0.325 chain and that works too.
It probably just widened the gullet cut a bit I suppose... Thanks for your input.

Back