correct file size for .325 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I get most of my information about the US forestry from YouTube and bucking Billy ray, he may not be representative for everyone.. my brother says USA is not a land its a continent, its so Big. But isent Canada even bigger?
Wow!! This is Rumour Control. These are the facts...

The U.S.A. is a large Country, located in the Continent of "North America". The"other" really, really big Country in North America, is Canada. Other "smaller" Countries in the Continent of North America include

Mexico.
El Salvador.
Haiti.
Nicaragua.
Guatemala.
Honduras.
Jamaica.

and many more....

https://www.google.com/search?q=cou...CDgyODZqMGo3qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Bucking Billie Ray, is like my dog when it's wet.. He wants to jump up on your lap.. He means well..

If you know how to freehand hand file you can still get a workable edge.

Holders will effect where the file sets/hook. You can shim (match book cover works) holders to allow smaller files to work correctly in bigger holders.

13/64 is only 1/64 bigger than 3/16, 1/64 smaller than 7/32

Stihl recommends 13/64 on their 3/8 chain but 7/32 (14/64) will work fine. I've used 5/32 rather than 3/16 (6/32) on 0.325 chain and that works too.
Only thing I remember seeing about 13/64 vs 7/32, that seemed to make a lot of sense, was that you could start with the 7/32 ( 14/64 ), then, as the cutter got worn, as was constantly sharpened, and got shorter, the 13/64 would actually work better on the second half of the cutter.. .. Leaving the same 20% as the 7/32 file did when the chain was new.

Only thing I remember seeing about 13/64 vs 7/32, that seemed to make a lot of sense, was that you could start with the 7/32 ( 14/64 ), then, as the cutter got worn, as was constantly sharpened, and got shorter, the 13/64 would actually work better on the second half of the cutter.. .. Leaving the same 20% as the 7/32 file did when the chain was new.
I just did that this AM, I will see how it works.

I think the chips flow will be better, generally the chain manufakturs recomandation is ok, but they newer recomend more than one size file for a chain (for obvious reasons) but as the tooth get worn out it becomes lower so a smaler fil will fitt better in the end of the tooth and in the beginning, sometimes but I may think this is less common a bigger file will be better. With a bigger file there can be a problem with space though betwen the raker and the tooth.

Back