Cost to rebuild 024?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim in NY

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Buddy who has retired from firewood gave me his Stihl 024. He told me it has low compression, which I quickly confirmed. Not much power and it smokes pretty good. I had one many years ago and seized the engine. Wished many times I had rebuilt that one. Anyway, any ideas of what it will cost for a complete rebuild of this engine?

Thanks!

Tim

Parts only or parts and labour? In the UK, if you are paying for labour in a repair shop the cost would be more than an equivalent new saw and I'd question if its worth it for 30 year old saw.

Regarding parts as a minimum I would replace fuel line, impulse line, intake boot, carb kit, piston and rings. I'd check the cylinder first to see if its reusable.

To do the job properly you’re looking at about $750 Australian dollars. That’s not including a new piston or cylinder.

Tom, that would be a museum piece.

If it's a 024S they share a lot of parts with the 026/260 and that would make it cost less than a 024.

Get ser #. Pull off muffler and take a look and pictures. We'll help you from there.........

This was from 2009 on a 036 lean seize I got for free, I did all the work. Parts have increased since then.

036 rebuild cost, note I already had all the tool$.....

ItemSourceCost ($)
Seized sawfriendfree
OEM piston /ringsCheapstillparts45
Piston pinDealer14
circlipsDealer1.40
Gasket setDealer13.75
Clutch upgradeDealer30
Muffler paintHardware store5
Sandpaper detergentHardware store10
Fuel lineDealer9.50
Carb kitDealer11
Impulse lineDealer4
Upper bearingDealer9
Spark plug3.25
Oil pump line kitDealer5
20” RSC chainebay15
20” ES barebay53

freebee036.jpg

Tom, that would be a museum piece.

If it's a 024S they share a lot of parts with the 026/260 and that would make it cost less than a 024.

Get ser #. Pull off muffler and take a look and pictures. We'll help you from there.........

This was from 2009 on a 036 lean seize I got for free, I did all the work. Parts have increased since then.

036 rebuild cost, note I already had all the tool$.....

ItemSourceCost ($)
Seized sawfriendfree
OEM piston /ringsCheapstillparts45
Piston pinDealer14
circlipsDealer1.40
Gasket setDealer13.75
Clutch upgradeDealer30
Muffler paintHardware store5
Sandpaper detergentHardware store10
Fuel lineDealer9.50
Carb kitDealer11
Impulse lineDealer4
Upper bearingDealer9
Spark plug3.25
Oil pump line kitDealer5
20” RSC chainebay15
20” ES barebay53

View attachment 1181824
If he’s going to do it, I put to you that it’s best to give him a realistic price, rather than what he may be able to get away with by saving 30 year old parts that could fail, AM parts that are likely low quality or eBay and those other places that parts availability may be unreliable, or not available at the time he needs them.

Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m not saying you’re wrong at all, or that it’s not possible to do cheaper than what I have quote. However, I feel it’s just setting him up for failure and disappointment quoting a lower price than what it will cost him going oem, from a dealer and including all the wear items.

I’m sure you, like I, have started a repair with a low price in mind and quickly found it spiraling out of control financially and ending up costing more than the value of the machine.

These are rough prices, from memory and I’m sure I’ve missed things. Price in Australian dollars. This is all from a dealer.

Carb kit: 50
Fuel lines 10-20
Fuel filter 15
Intake manifold 60
Cylinder gasket 10
Case gasket 10
Seals and main bearings 80
Spark plug 10
Pull rope 10
Small end bearing 20-30
Rings 35
Bar 175
Chain 80
Decomp valve 30
C clips 10
Av rubbers 50

That’s about 650. Not including possible replacement piston and cylinder costs taking it over 1000.

He will need to add tooling costs and consumables on that price too.

First- ascertain why it has low compression, is low on power and smokey- yet is still running.
No need to rush down to a dealer for $750 plus in parts when what you have may not be broke.

If indeed the tuning is near to par, fuel mix is decent, might get away with new rings, maybe piston and rings.
Photos will speak volumes.

I recently rebuild a 024 for a neighbor. Charged nothing for labor, only parts. P&C was still good. Changed every rubber part, some minor broken plastic stuff, rings and it needed a new carb (air leak at the throttle shaft, took me a while to diagnose). Was just under 200€ in parts. All OEM. Saw runs like new.

Edit: I should still have the shopping list with all the part numbers, if you like.

Buddy who has retired from firewood gave me his Stihl 024. He told me it has low compression, which I quickly confirmed. Not much power and it smokes pretty good. I had one many years ago and seized the engine. Wished many times I had rebuilt that one. Anyway, any ideas of what it will cost for a complete rebuild of this engine?

Thanks!

Tim

Where abouts is "upstate NY"? I'm in SW Vermont/Pownal if you need help/tools.

If he’s going to do it, I put to you that it’s best to give him a realistic price, rather than what he may be able to get away with by saving 30 year old parts that could fail, AM parts that are likely low quality or eBay and those other places that parts availability may be unreliable, or not available at the time he needs them.

Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m not saying you’re wrong at all, or that it’s not possible to do cheaper than what I have quote. However, I feel it’s just setting him up for failure and disappointment quoting a lower price than what it will cost him going oem, from a dealer and including all the wear items.

I’m sure you, like I, have started a repair with a low price in mind and quickly found it spiraling out of control financially and ending up costing more than the value of the machine.

These are rough prices, from memory and I’m sure I’ve missed things. Price in Australian dollars. This is all from a dealer.

Carb kit: 50
Fuel lines 10-20
Fuel filter 15
Intake manifold 60
Cylinder gasket 10
Case gasket 10
Seals and main bearings 80
Spark plug 10
Pull rope 10
Small end bearing 20-30
Rings 35
Bar 175
Chain 80
Decomp valve 30
C clips 10
Av rubbers 50

That’s about 650. Not including possible replacement piston and cylinder costs taking it over 1000.

He will need to add tooling costs and consumables on that price too.
You Aussie fellows pay far too high of prices for chainsaw related parts and saws, let the OP take your list of parts in to a Stihl dealer and have it priced out. Then he will have a better idea of what it would cost to rebuild but first he needs to check out what he really needs. Chucking a cartload of parts into a saw without first diagnosing apparent problems is just pi$$ing money down the drain. I have rebuilt more than 10 of the 024`s and many dozens of the 026 saws and have never spent more than $200. on any one of them. I take each one down and examine each part first, replace what is really needed and that`s it. I had a chance once upon a time to buy up OEM 026 piston and cylinder kits at a ridiculous cheap price and did so as they were one of the most common Stihl saws coming my way for rebuilds, the 044`s were second most common. A good running 026 in decent shape is a $350. saw any day and a 024 brings about the same money.

Once he gets it priced out he can then choose to use OEM or go aftermarket for some or all of the parts needed, a lot of guys get by using AM parts on occasional use saws, those saws are not likely to see much use as in high hours of run time. Most of those saws see an early death from air leaks, straight gas and poor old mix. I have seen many saws brought back after just a season or two where old stale gas was left in them even though I preach to them to use canned fuel or at least empty the saw completely out when finished, they either ignore or say they forgot and the carbs are taking a beating. I find white death often and stiff diaphragms also.

About ten years ago I rebuilt for a friend a burned out Stihl 024 and converted it to an 026 using parts from HLSupply:
1717615340758.jpeg
It worked. I had to also install a new 026 shroud and cap the hole for the decomp valve and I added the outer spikes that I shaped to even them up with the inner spikes. A fun project, I believe back then the parts cost me about $110. The owner says it runs fine today.

About ten years ago I rebuilt for a friend a burned out Stihl 024 and converted it to an 026 using parts from HLSupply:
View attachment 1182116
It worked. I had to also install a new 026 shroud and cap the hole for the decomp valve and I added the outer spikes that I shaped to even them up with the inner spikes. A fun project, I believe back then the parts cost me about $110. The owner says it runs fine today.

Hang on a minute- either it was an 024S you started with, or you also swapped out the crank to get the extra 2mm of travel?
Its not just a straight top end swap to 026 an 024.

Hard to throw something out when you don't even know what is wrong with it.
Seals, piston, carb kit, manifold, impulse , and fuel line may do the trick. Meteor piston, and Chinese other stuff will usually be fine.

Breaking an 024 in half is a labor of love that makes no monetary sense at all.

That will make it clearer for the OP to follow if looking to try that path.

The 024S had the short air filter. I half way have an 026 from an 024S.
Not breaking my neck over it, but the tall non compensating 026 air filter covers are scarce.
So, I still use the 024S cover and filter. Looks a little odd.

You Aussie fellows pay far too high of prices for chainsaw related parts and saws,
it’s terrible, not just stihl, but anything. Generic workshop tools are double the cost out here to what people in the USA pay.

Being a very large country, a small population and a long way away sucks when it comes to cost.

Latest posts

Back