craftsman 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pafire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone can tell me the manufacture of Big Black
Craftsman 55cc model # 316.350840. I did a search and did not come up with a good answer, So far I’m guessing as to one of these. Pouland, MTD, Troy Built, Solo, Ryobi. Just don’t know who got the contract to produce those.

I had one of those once and found the parts almost impossible to find. It was made by MTD for McCulloch and Craftsman. The company quit making saws and didn't make many spare parts for them after the build. I tried all three companies and nobody had the part I was looking for. I sold mine without the oiler to someone needing some other parts. I'll never buy another one..

I ran across a clean one at a thrift store priced at $100.00. If it had had the right color tag for the 50% Off Special I would've bought it for $50.00.

I had one of those once and found the parts almost impossible to find. It was made by MTD for McCulloch and Craftsman. The company quit making saws and didn't make many spare parts for them after the build. I tried all three companies and nobody had the part I was looking for. I sold mine without the oiler to someone needing some other parts. I'll never buy another one..

Was that one of the MTD (I think MTD) chainsaws with the weird sized--and unobtainable--clutch?

Was that one of the MTD (I think MTD) chainsaws with the weird sized--and unobtainable--clutch?
I didn't notice much about the clutch except it seemed to work. I had it running but it wouldn't oil the bar so I removed the oiler and all the plastic teeth on the gear were sheared off. I looked at lots of places and couldn't find an oiler for the saw, even called the factory but no dice.

Guess I need to see what I have left of this saw. I do know that when I got it, the recoil starter and coil were missing. I'm pretty sure everything else was there. As stated, I've sold off some of the stuff but should have lots of bits and pieces left is someone is looking for something specific. I have the clutch cover/brake assembly (minus handle) on eBay now and sold off the air filter but don't remember what else is remaining...

I kinda steer away from saws like that when I'm saw hunting. I only look for the saw models that I'm sure about. There are lots of saws where I go that look kinda rare but I'm not into that..I still buy the occasional Wild Thing though, just for kicks..

Latest posts

Back