Craftsman ChainSaw - Oil Flow Screw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c11488

Reaction score
I am working on a friends 18" Craftman Chainsaw, model# 316.380180 which is leaking oil from bottom when he originally reported no oil flow on chain. I told him to check this screw out for adjustment, not sure if he did that or anything? I checked it out and saw oil coming off the bar tip on cardboard and when I had the bar off to change the chain, I could see it flowing out pump tube area/slot when I removed the plate covering. But the case was full of oil in the bottom so it seemed to all leak out when he gave it to me to check out.

When I went to check the oil flow screw it seems to just spin infitely either left or right. I was expecting some kind of limit or I even heard about how it "clicks" in certain positions? Anyways I am wondering how this oil flow adjustment screw is supposed to work or if he might have damaged it?

Saw works great otherwise, so I was gonna tell him to drain oil out after each use to prevent oil leaking issues which I know is recommended practice as well.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Mike

I am working on a friends 18" Craftman Chainsaw, model# 316.380180 which is leaking oil from bottom when he originally reported no oil flow on chain. I told him to check this screw out for adjustment, not sure if he did that or anything? I checked it out and saw oil coming off the bar tip on cardboard and when I had the bar off to change the chain, I could see it flowing out pump tube area/slot when I removed the plate covering. But the case was full of oil in the bottom so it seemed to all leak out when he gave it to me to check out.

When I went to check the oil flow screw it seems to just spin infitely either left or right. I was expecting some kind of limit or I even heard about how it "clicks" in certain positions? Anyways I am wondering how this oil flow adjustment screw is supposed to work or if he might have damaged it?

Saw works great otherwise, so I was gonna tell him to drain oil out after each use to prevent oil leaking issues which I know is recommended practice as well.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Mike

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Pull the clutch and post some photos. Nobody knows what a Craftman Chainsaw, model# 316.380180 is. With photos there is a chance that someone might recognize it from a different saw.

Attachments

• c422.jpg
    c422.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 0
Looks like a MTD made one for craftsman. They dont even show a oiler in IPL. https://www.partstree.com/models/316-380180-41by429s799-craftsman-chainsaw-sears/

But surprised you say adjustable supposedly.

This one shows part but again no oil pump or oiler in search. GL https://www.mtdparts.com/en_US/prior-year-models/craftsman-42cc-chainsaw-316.380180/41BY429S799.html
I've seen the same IPL diagrams everyone refers to as well. No mention of it, but in the manual on couple pages it speaks of it and I can see the screw itself on the bottom with the Min Max legend as shown.

cs1.jpgcs2.jpg

As I said before, the screw just spins around and around, so maybe its a dummy for a different model which actually has a pump etc.???

Here's the saw with an IPL on the Sears Parts Direct site. Later plastic Craftsman saw.

Unfortunately, they don't show the full IPL, but judging from other parts, this is another variation of the Zenoah G45x(x)/G5xx(x). Definitely not a “plastic” saw.

If it is indeed a Zenoah G45x(x)/G5xx(x) variant, it uses a (Zenoah) “I” type oil pump.
Normally there should be a rotation limit, but if someone insists, theoretically this adjustment screw can turn all the way around. This should not normally stop the pumping of oil, because, as you can see, the piston is on the other side.
Maybe the oil line broke or fell off the barb. When you unscrew the clutch and remove the cover it should become clear what the issue is.

1723708743490.png1723712766118.png

Back