cutting speed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosshuber43

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I,ve run a husky 266xp for years and love it.I picked up a used Jons 2083 and figured a 30% bigger saw would cut 30% better, right?Wrong.Power is not a problem with either saw,I can,t tell that one cuts better than the other.We cut pine for fire wood, usually 18 inch and less.Both saws have .375x.50 chain,the husky has a 20 inch bar with 30rc,the jons has a 28 inch bar with 30rcs(skiptooth),the 28 inch is ok for limbing but this settup is heavy.Was I nuts thinking a bigger saw would cut better?

That's why they sell different size saws

You will probably find the smaller saw easier to use on smaller wood like you are cutting. That big JonnyRed won't help you much unless you get into some bigger wood.

I had a little competion with my Stihl 260 agains a bit older Husky 61. Anything under 8 inch and I smoked him, but on stuff up aproaching 16 inches he was beating me by a good margin. This both with new 3/8 chains and 16 inch bars. Being a rather small fellow myself, I'd guarantee you I could cut the same amount of small wood in a day, easier with the smaller saw. You have to match the saw to the man and to the wood!

Frank

Cutting speed is more a factor of chain speed and chain size. A 50cc saw at 9000RPM running a 16" bar with 3/8" on a 7T will cut the same speed as a 100cc saw at the same speed with the same bar/chain/sprocket. This is as long as the smaller saw has enough power for the wood, say both 8" in this case.

The bigger saw's advantage is being able to use either a more aggressive chain, a larger sprocket, or a much longer bar.

I've been playing with the idea of running 3/8" chain on a 9-10T sprocket on my 111S.

The 2083 is at home with bigger wood and/or big hardwoods. Skip chain isn't as fast as full comp, because you aren't pulling as many chips out per round.

Try switching bars with the Husky, then seeing which saw can take more "reef". Either saw should be more than adequate, power-wise, for the woods you describe.

I had a 2083, with 20" bar, used to cut down Mn hardwoods up to about 30" without problems (that's about as big as they get here). I borrowed a 32" bar and chain to stump a huge old lightning-killed white pine once and 32" of full comp in the pine was about as much load as 20" of red oak.

I fogot to mention that I did not buy the 2083 to replace the 266.We built a covered porch out of peeled lodge poles that turned out very nice,I didn,t want to use regular steps and decided to rip some 12to 14 inch logs in half and use them for steps.I bought the 2083 and some rip chain,a friend and I built a ripping jig like an alaskan,and my 5 foot long steps turned out great(mom,s happy).Nothing is free,and ripping is a workout!Anyway next time we go a firewood cutt'n sweetcheecks swipes my 266,so I rig big red for crosscut and I'm going to show her something,did'nt happen.The bars will interchange and I have thought about putting the 20 inch on the jons and seeing what it does.May be next spring before we make it back to the woods.

Ross

I have customers running 2083IIs with 24" bars full comp. Carlton A2LM. They are doing fine ( Illinois hardwood.)

Did you know the 2083II has been replaced in the Jonsered line by the 2186?

Didya know...

Tony, I assumed the 2183 would be history someday, and that replacing the "old" 2183 with the 2177 (and calling it 2183II) was a stopgap.

Local Jonsey dealer says that "husky got to work out the bugs before they made any red ones", don't know if it's true or not. Probably just salesmanship. No plans (known) to replace the 2095, but we all know that's coming too.
<a href= "http://international.husqvarna.com/Folder_263/node670.asp?id=1"> here's a view </a> of a Husky orange sawmill that looks suspiciously like the 600+ Jonsered, except that its powered by a Husky 395, so you know they won't even keep it around for the sake of the mill.

Latest posts

Back