DB Babcock's 3120

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhotsaw

Yoda
Reaction score
Hello doug,
Sending you a couple of photo's of your saw, almost ready to ship.
I made a couple of cuts before I started, In a 24 inch log it cut a average of 14.1 seconds. After the engine modifications it cut 10.2 seconds. when i added the pipe it cut a 7.9 second cut. not bad for a stock husky 3120. the chain needs the rakers lowered a tad, it was hard to push with the pipe

AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! That's unf**king believeable, Ken!!!! I can't wait to whip that sucker out on some unsuspecting self-serving Poulan Wild Thing zealots!!! Just seeing the pictures makes it worth the cost (including the $150 or so phone bill)! I haven't been this stoked since I lost my virginity last year! Beautiful job, bud. Thanks a millon!:blob2:

awsome Ken, can't see inside but workmansip outside is really nice. congrats Doug, I'll bet those woods creatures are already getting uneasy.

Ken, That saw lokks awsome, One question can a saw like that be also set up to run a stock appearing muffler?
Humm maybe what i'm looking for .......

Eric,
That's exactly what Ken did for me. I'll let the master himself explain in detail, but after Dennis started thinking about pipes on non-race saws I talked to Ken about a "dual purpose" modified saw, namely one that could be used with a pipe or a muffler, and this is what he came up with. The main thing he did to make this possible was to substitute a Stihl carb with an adjustable high speed jet in place of the Husky Walbro unit with a fixed one. With the muffler in place, no problem in the woods, just tweak the carb slightly leaner. Impress (or distress) the neighbors by switching to the pipe and going a little richer. As you can see from his timed cuts, the pipe really makes a difference, and this was with a non-optimized chain. I think something like this would make an excellent firewood saw for you!.. lmao

Doug
Well this sure has me thinking way to hard...
no way i would go with a 3120... But maybe a 372 or a 357
or maybe one of dennis red saws (always like red)
have you got your 346 from dennis yet ??? hows it cut ???

Originally, Dennis was going to do a 346 for me, but we decided to try the 2149 Jonsey as an experiment. As it turned out, they both cut about the same after mods. Many of the same parts too, save for the red paint. I'll probably be getting the 2149 in about a week or so. Dennis loves the red ones. Maybe a 2171 would be a good choice. I think this dual purpose saw thing may show some promise for guys like us.

Dougs 3120

Hello woodsjunkie,
It Is a daul purpose saw. But now i'm having mixed emotions, should I send this saw back to doug or not. I can just read the headlines in the manchester gazette! Local computer engineer goes beserk and cuts 37 big trees down in our local city park trying out his new saw. Ha, Ha.
Ken

Well...it sure looks puurty..but how does it cut with the bar on upside down??? Is there enough air in them tires?? Seriously Ken, another outstanding job...I cant wait to hear all about Doug rocking it out...lol...

Doug...the tracking number for your pretty lil red saw is W668 638 723 9 I shipped out 4 saws this morning, one being another 3120 to Mr Ken Dunn himself...

I just got Russ' 357 done tonight..so I can start on Rb's 3120 and finish Rotax's 111....and my Super 930's:D:D:D:D

A fine looking job...but "I" really should test all the saws that come through these parts. I look forward to running one of KD's saws as well as running Dennis's again. Of course the G-KD Piped 372 at clearwater was a nice small (Very Fast) saw. I do believe it is time to move the Powerband around on my 088 and it is comming your way soon dennis. Problem is I am probably comming with it. See Ya soon

Robert, please stay in enumscratch, or Dennis will never finish my saw........... the creep.

Damm, got outbid on that 651, but another one is up sunday, I'll try again.....

Actually come up to edmonds, i've got a five foot butt burly maple to whack, I think I need a 55 hp rotaxin saxin......or are you from lombardy?

Hey Robert, Ken Dunn is sending my secret 088KD to your house so we can play before Clearwater. I am flying out to Seattle on the 9 th., I just have to get my birth certificate on Tues. so they will let me into the U.S. I will be sure to carry no Martin chain on the plane. If I make KD's 088 place with Uncle Art's chain, I dont want you to tempt me to sell it to you, or I will have the funds to keep on going to the Yukon.
Anyway, I am cleaning house and getting rid of all my saws and replacing them with Ken Dunn saws, cause he puts more time into them to make them run better. Walkers and Dennis is more than good enough for 95% of us cutters, whom I thank for getting me to where I am now. Please pass the Kleenex as I shed tears parting with my beloved 2171 by Dennis Greffard and 385XP by Walkers.
Pretty boastful words for someone who hasnt tried a KD hotsaw yet, but already I can taste the power.
Gyro

I think I'm going to go ahead and send my ole 266 out to KD later this fall. When I spoke to him the other day, he said it was one of the best saws to modify and that a 50% increase in power wasn't out of the question for a basic "woods" facelift.

Now this shouldn't be construed as anything negative about Gref or Walkers. My Greffardized 2149 is a little screamer and I love it.
Like most things in this world, you get what you pay for. Ken is more expensive than the others, but he does more to the saws to get the last bit of power out of them. For that, I don't mind forking over the extra cash.

I'm still trying to decide what my next saw will be. Maybe one made by Bombardier.

I'm catching up on things that have been on my plate lately, and I think I'll be able to finally take down some fir trees and build some kind of bucking stand to try out the 3120. What the hey, it's only been 3 months.

Hey Doug,

If you get them firs hung up, feel free to call me. I'll ship out real cheap. And i'm crazy enuf to climb a hung tree. But if it is well hung, maybe ginger might chip in....

Harness hang syndrome:

Latest posts

Back