Deer removal of bark from elm tree - salvageable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edlank

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This was added to an older thread with a different question on this elm tree. Copied here where it may be more appropriate. This elm tree (dutch elm disease resistant) just had a buck attack, I think. It has all the bark shredded for about 14" of height, circumferentially. I think the buck was rutting.
Is there anything I can do to save this elm tree?

Attachments​

• IMG_7552.jpg
    IMG_7552.jpg
    3.8 MB
  • IMG_7553.jpg
    IMG_7553.jpg
    3.4 MB
  • IMG_7551.jpg
    IMG_7551.jpg
    3.6 MB

Or, you could cut it off to about an inch above ground and see what comes up in the spring.
If you get some shoots, you can pick the best-looking one and remove the others. It'll have a good root system.

Found this:

5. Elm (Ulmus spp.)

Elm trees are resilient species known for their ability to regenerate from root suckers. Despite facing significant challenges from diseases like Dutch elm disease, elms continue to thrive and contribute to urban and natural landscapes. Their regenerative ability is particularly beneficial for maintaining populations in the face of environmental stressors.

Elms are characterized by their broad, serrated leaves and distinctive, vase-shaped growth habit. They produce small, inconspicuous flowers in early spring, followed by round samaras. Elms are adaptable to a wide range of soil conditions and are commonly found in both urban and rural settings.

The root systems of elms are vigorous and robust, capable of producing suckers that can develop into new trees. This regenerative trait allows elms to recover from damage and continue growing even after significant disturbances. Elms are also known for their tolerance to various soil types and moisture levels, making them versatile in different environments.

Latest posts

Back