Dilemma....Echo 70cc vs Clone 90cc saw. What would you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQRaceworks

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok...so I had a couple of big (30"+ diameter) oaks fall out in my back pasture a few weeks ago. I tried making some cuts on them with my old Poulan 50cc saw with 20" bar, and it does it...but good lord is it slow. It's something like 5min just to get one cut through it.

I've been thinking about getting a bigger saw (all I have are saws that are 50cc and smaller)...and I think I can finally justify it with the job I've got to do on these big oaks. I told myself I didn't want to spend more than $1,000 on a new saw. Was thinking about a 590 or 620...but I think those will be too small for what I want to do. That being said.......

...after lots of research, and calling around to my local dealers...this is what I've come up with.

1. Pick up one of the Echo 7310 (73.5cc) saws with a 28" bar at the local dealer here in the next few weeks when they have their 15% off sale for $935.

2. OR...save some money, pick up one of the 90cc Farmertec/Neotec 660 clone saws with a 32-36" bar on it for around $450.

On one hand....that 90cc saw should hog through those oak trees, on the other hand...I've heard that the clones have some parts that wear out fast and cause issues (no surprise)...but I would be saving almost $500.

But...even though the echo is smaller, it's probably going to last me forever with the amount of use I'm going to put it through......I've heard it's a solid saw, and it's got a 5yr warranty. But.....I'm paying $500 more for a saw that's not going to get used much after it cuts up these oaks.

SO....considering what I need to do with it....would you buy a smaller 70cc saw that's better quality, with a 5yr warranty....but spend an extra $500+.........or save all that money and buy a big 90cc that might not be as reliable, might need some extra maintenance, might not last as long...but just hog through that oak tree with an even bigger bar?

I've watched a lot of videos on those clone saws....and for the most part, that seem like a pretty good deal as long as you aren't afraid of tuning the carb and doing some some basic part replacement if needed. But, there is still a change you are going to get one with issues right out of the box.

What would you do? Buy the 7310, or a 660 clone?

Me? Neither.
But I'm not you- you spend your money how you wish.

Big saw will cut the same wood a wee saw will cut, but wee saws struggle to cut big wood- as you are discovering.
If they wont be used again after these couple of trees- whats the price retention and resale value of each likely to be?
Genuine 064/066 size Stihls hold a value- knock offs do not.

Buy once, cry once. Also, it's too expensive to be cheap. If time = money...I never have time to loose money on making a lesser quality work.

Buy a quality tool and you will forget the price after the job is done.

Echo 7310 is a lifetime saw if you so choose, do you plan to own it that long? The quality is top notch with that legendary Echo reliability. Keep ethanol free fuel circulated in there and it will serve you forever with no problems. Can the same be said for a Chinese knock off? I don't think so.

If you have any pride in owning nice things, it's the 7310 hands down. I was in the same predicament actually and chose the 7310 over a clone, and never looked back. It's still improving after 10 tanks and a carb tune!

Echo 7310 is a lifetime saw if you so choose, do you plan to own it that long? The quality is top notch with that legendary Echo reliability. Keep ethanol free fuel circulated in there and it will serve you forever with no problems. Can the same be said for a Chinese knock off? I don't think so.

If you have any pride in owning nice things, it's the 7310 hands down.

Yeah....I plan on keeping it. It would be nice to have a bigger saw around for big jobs. I think the 7310 should pull a 28" bar though oak ok...right? That cheap clone price is tempting....but there is nothing worse than needing a saw, and then having something break on it. And from what I've seen...those clones are hit or miss on the quality.

I don't mind spending money on quality equipment...I just wish I knew more about those clones.

I'd spend the money for the Echo.

On a sidenote, I always find it interesting that some people don't perceive Echo as being a quality piece of equipment. I've been thoroughly impressed with every Echo I've ever used or owned. Maybe not as high performance, but rock-solid.

On a sidenote, I always find it interesting that some people don't perceive Echo as being a quality piece of equipment. I've been thoroughly impressed with every Echo I've ever used or owned. Maybe not as high performance, but rock-solid.

I've got a little echo 352 that's I've had for a few years...and that little saw is awesome! Only has a 16" bar, but with a muffler mod, sharp chain, and good tune......it's cuts like a beast!! I've got some other echo equipment as well.....and honestly, they don't get the credit that they deserve. Echo makes solid stuff....what's why I'm taking a hard look at the 1730.

I've got a little echo 352 that's I've had for a few years...and that little saw is awesome! Only has a 16" bar, but with a muffler mod, sharp chain, and good tune......it's cuts like a beast!! I've got some other echo equipment as well.....and honestly, they don't get the credit that they deserve. Echo makes solid stuff....what's why I'm taking a hard look at the 1730.
For what I do these days, if I bought a new 70cc saw it would be the Echo.

For the price I can get this 7310 echo for ( $950-ish)...is there a Husky or Stihl 70cc I should be looking at? Or is that about the best deal I'm going to find on a nice 70cc saw?

My impressions as well, well built, 90’s tech/performance on a modern saw, but a solid performer. I have a couple Echo/Shindaiwa pieces that are very reliable.

Echo makes a quality piece of equipment. They are just very old designs in most cases with poor performance compared to modern saws.
I woukd certainly run a Echo over some piece garbage chi com knockoff.

Latest posts

Back