Dislocated my shoulder.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not doing tree work. Been two weeks but pain is still incredible. When I got to the ER they had me on IV Delauid While taking xrays and setting it

Docs/orthopedist won't prescribe pain meds so drank booze for a week, not happy with that but was able to get some sleep, I also found a vial of oxycodone I'd not finished off. Wish I'd saved more of those, 2-3 pills and I could get sleep. I may have to back to the ER

Any tips for dealing with the pain? I've had it in sling but have to take that off once in a while as the arm cramps up.

I was wondering where you've been. :(

I agree with the ice and Ibuprofen to lessen the pain.
You might also try Valerian root.
It's not for pain, but will make you very drowsy so you can at least sleep through the pain.
It helped me quit smoking about 12 years ago.
It also helped me through the sudden tinnitus I got last year (it finally went away).
And the herniated disk last year.

If I take just one cap, I literally start nodding within 30 minutes.

"Valerian root, also known as "plant Valium" or "nature's Valium", is a herb that's sometimes used as an alternative to Valium (diazepam) for sleep problems and anxiety. Valerian root is believed to increase the amount of gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain, which can have a calming effect on anxiety and regulate nerve cells. Valium also works by increasing GABA levels. However, researchers aren't sure how valerian works, and its effectiveness hasn't been fully verified. "

Hope you get better soon.

Not doing tree work. Been two weeks but pain is still incredible. When I got to the ER they had me on IV Delauid While taking xrays and setting it

Docs/orthopedist won't prescribe pain meds so drank booze for a week, not happy with that but was able to get some sleep, I also found a vial of oxycodone I'd not finished off. Wish I'd saved more of those, 2-3 pills and I could get sleep. I may have to back to the ER

Any tips for dealing with the pain? I've had it in sling but have to take that off once in a while as the arm cramps up.
Wow, how did it happen?

Tip for pain yeah don't move it around much.

Alcohol will make it worse it promotes inflammation. Cold packs and ibuprofen work for me . I don’t take opiates at all when I had hand surgery the Doc prescribed pain killers after I had expressed that I would not take them I never picked them up .

I was wondering where you've been. :(

I agree with the ice and Ibuprofen to lessen the pain.
You might also try Valerian root.
It's not for pain, but will make you very drowsy so you can at least sleep through the pain.
It helped me quit smoking about 12 years ago.
It also helped me through the sudden tinnitus I got last year (it finally went away).
And the herniated disk last year.

If I take just one cap, I literally start nodding within 30 minutes.

"Valerian root, also known as "plant Valium" or "nature's Valium", is a herb that's sometimes used as an alternative to Valium (diazepam) for sleep problems and anxiety. Valerian root is believed to increase the amount of gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain, which can have a calming effect on anxiety and regulate nerve cells. Valium also works by increasing GABA levels. However, researchers aren't sure how valerian works, and its effectiveness hasn't been fully verified. "

Hope you get better soon.

The alcohol was just so I could get some sleep. About every sleeping position is painful, and I went a few days without sleep.

I don't use painkillers unless really needed. I know I have most a vial of oxy at my other place from a past injury, a burn. I just can't drive the 30 miles in my old 4-speed truck. I tried pleading with the doctors to call in prescription, no luck.

I'll check out the valerian. I have a few good wild plant books. Not sure if any grows nearby? Health food store might stock it?

Wow, how did it happen?
Tip for pain yeah don't move it around much.

I tripped on a rug getting to the bathroom at a friends, broke my fall with the arm fully extended and my hand hit the base of a wall/floor.

I'm keeping the arm in a sling. Helps but still never comfortable

The alcohol was just so I could get some sleep. About every sleeping position is painful, and I went a few days without sleep.

I don't use painkillers unless really needed. I know I have most a vial of oxy at my other place from a past injury, a burn. I just can't drive the 30 miles in my old 4-speed truck. I tried pleading with the doctors to call in prescription, no luck.

I'll check out the valerian. I have a few good wild plant books. Not sure if any grows nearby? Health food store might stock it?
This is the one I have, bought at Walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Valerian-Root-Capsules-500-mg-100-Count/654159730

You can also order it online and have it sent to your home via Swansons or Amazon (I don't buy anything from Amazon)
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/p/swanson-premium-valerian-root-475-mg-100-caps

Whatever you do, don't buy the liquid! :ices_rofl: Valerian root smells like old gym socks and I have to hold my breath when I take the caps. But, it's worth it because it does the job.👍

I tripped on a rug getting to the bathroom at a friends, broke my fall with the arm fully extended and my hand hit the base of a wall/floor.

I'm keeping the arm in a sling. Helps but still never comfortable
Ouch! :surprised3:
What do they do for that? Just reset it, put back in place, let it heal on it's own?

What do they do for that? Just reset it, put back in place, let it heal on it's own?
I know a guy who dislocated his shoulder when he hit a tree in the Pine Barrens riding his dirt bike, and he told me he somehow pushed it back in the socket and rode the bike out to his truck.

I know a guy who dislocated his shoulder when he hit a tree in the Pine Barrens riding his dirt bike, and he told me he somehow pushed it back in the socket and rode the bike out to his truck.

Your friend on the bike has better pain tolerance than me. I'm lucky I survived my dirt-street bike days, we would do 50 mile rides all off-road, and the street bike usually would see 100mph.

The trails I rode were the same ones they had the1973 International Six Day Trials on. Those guys were a crazy bunch, 100 miles a day. Most all those trails are closed to bikes now.

I broke both bones in my lower leg years ago (not on a bike), they put a metal pin in it, I was up on crutches in less than a week. Had to wear this big plastic orthopedic boot for ~ 3 months. But that doctor gave pain meds I was on for over a month. That was before the opioid "crisis". I had no problem stopping the pain meds

My shoulder was too painful to even get in a friend's truck. Called 911. At the hospital they put me on IV Delauid, took xrays, and when the pain meds had full effect they manipulated my arm back into the socket. That only took a few seconds.

I've reading up on this and they don't recommend trying to put it back by yourself/untrained non-medical people. You can do more damage. I don't think I'll need surgery unless there is soft tissue damage. They want do a CT scan and maybe an MRI.
I missed the appointment for that today as I was in too much pain. Sort of a couch potato I watch TV and try to read a lot on the computer

This is the one I have, bought at Walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Valerian-Root-Capsules-500-mg-100-Count/654159730

You can also order it online and have it sent to your home via Swansons or Amazon (I don't buy anything from Amazon)
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/p/swanson-premium-valerian-root-475-mg-100-caps

Whatever you do, don't buy the liquid! :ices_rofl: Valerian root smells like old gym socks and I have to hold my breath when I take the caps. But, it's worth it because it does the job.👍
Thanks

I found it at Walmart. Some are mixtures with melatonin.

It seems to grow pretty widespread around here, but I've never looked for it.

PS how are the froggers doing?

I slept in a recliner and it helped greatly
In bed I'd roll and the pain would snap me awake.

Thanks

I found it at Walmart. Some are mixtures with melatonin.

It seems to grow pretty widespread around here, but I've never looked for it.

PS how are the froggers doing?
I've tried melatonin before and it doesn't agree with me, at all.

Froggies are multiplying like crazy! I just came in from checking on them - pool party is going wild tonight.:happy: :laughing:
I hear the gray tree frogs, and the past several nights I'm also hearing the leopard frogs and Pickerels.
Lots of tiny froglets on the lip, too.
They let me pick them up.:heart:

Absolutely. Many of the prescription pain meds include acetaminophen. The mode of action is synergistic with the NSAID's like Naproxin and ibuprofen.

Take two Naproxin, one, perhaps two acetaminophen, and just one of your oxycodone pills. You'll sleep better than you would expect, and the potential for liver damage and other stomach problems is nowhere near as great when you aren't overdosing on the same product.

The pharmaceutical industry doesn't have many pain meds that combine acetaminophen & naproxen (or ibuprophen), but I've done my research and have not found anything significant to discourage combining them. Even my orthopedic doctor agreed with me, and I can attest that mild doses of both combine to give better pain relief than either of them done at maximum dosage.

EDIT: Advil Dual Action combines acetaminophen & ibuprophen. Dial in a light dose of oxycodone to stretch out that limited supply of the good stuff.

Regarding joint pain & alcohol?

I think the jury is still out on that one. If you have gout, I can assure you booze doesn't help that kind of inflammation. Recent damage to ligaments will be more of a muscle tone and sleep issue, which alcohol will certainly help out with.

By the way: just a little booze with that naproxen/acetaminophen will really amp up your pain relief and help put you to sleep. I can't recommend combining with the oxycodone, though. Alcohol and acetaminophen are a bad combination for your liver, so I'd go light on both if you intend to use them chronically. Alcohol & ibuprofen are well known to exaggerate stomach problems for some people. These combinations can work great on an "occasional" basis, however.

"...surprisingly, alcohol may have some anti-inflammatory benefits. This is because the consumption of alcohol reduces certain biomarkers (signature molecules) of inflammation. This means that moderate (CDC recommendations) alcohol consumption can reduce your risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis."​
Of course, your injury is traumatic rather than arthritic, so that should radically skew your interpretation of the medical recommendations. Most of the studies I have seen are linking excessive or higher rates of alcohol consumption with inflammation. I recommend nothing more than one drink per night.

Ouch is all that I can say and hope it heals up for you. I strongly suggest that you go get an MRI done on that shoulder. I have been there and done that. I tore a muscle off in my shoulder slipping on ice and using my arm to break my fall. It was the biggest mistake to do that. As for the pain. If the ice packs do not work try a hot shower and aim the water right on that shoulder. Also try hanging your arm straight down by bending over a counter end or a chair and swing your arm in small circles in both directions. Sometimes sitting in an armchair and putting your arm outwards on the arm might help to be more comfortable. My left shoulder has been operated on 4x. My right one only once. A sling does not always work and pulls your arm around your body which will put stress on your shoulder. I would try putting a thick pad behind your sling to hold your arm away from your body. I think I had a 2" or 3" pad behind mine. It helped but I preferred just not using one. The first operation on that shoulder was back in 1987. The last one was in 2013.

Latest posts

Back