Dislocated my shoulder.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
diver64's ER visit reminded me of my ER visit over 40 years ago when I cut my left hand in a bow saw incident. By the time I got to the ER, I was in pain. Fortunately, however, I didn't have to fill out any paperwork as the ER attendant quizzed me and wrote my responses for the medical personnel. Though she never really looked at me, as she kept her head down making notes, things were going well until she asks me, "Left hand, right?" to which I respond "Right." She scribbles out her notes and asks, "Right hand, right?" to which I respond, "No, it is my left hand." She again scribbles her notes and repeats "Left hand, right?" to which I again respond "Right." Same result. This conversation cycled yet a third time though not intended by either of us. In a desperate move I unwrapped my wounded hand and stuck it within sight of her bowed head and said, "This one". The poor girl turned white as a sheet and got me immediate attention.

I have injured both of my shoulders and the best advice I can give is get a recliner if you don't have one. Sleeping in a recliner beats a bed before and after surgery. I didn't have one and toughed it out in a fixed chair as it was impossible for me to sleep in a bed absence serious medication.

Hope all goes well for the OP and the rest of you that suffer shoulder injuries.

Ron

Paul Rudd Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Expand your vocabulary next time you get in that conversation: "Correct" is the word of choice when confirming directions left or right.

diver64's ER visit reminded me of my ER visit over 40 years ago when I cut my left hand in a bow saw incident. By the time I got to the ER, I was in pain. Fortunately, however, I didn't have to fill out any paperwork as the ER attendant quizzed me and wrote my responses for the medical personnel. Though she never really looked at me, as she kept her head down making notes, things were going well until she asks me, "Left hand, right?" to which I respond "Right." She scribbles out her notes and asks, "Right hand, right?" to which I respond, "No, it is my left hand." She again scribbles her notes and repeats "Left hand, right?" to which I again respond "Right." Same result. This conversation cycled yet a third time though not intended by either of us. In a desperate move I unwrapped my wounded hand and stuck it within sight of her bowed head and said, "This one". The poor girl turned white as a sheet and got me immediate attention.

I have injured both of my shoulders and the best advice I can give is get a recliner if you don't have one. Sleeping in a recliner beats a bed before and after surgery. I didn't have one and toughed it out in a fixed chair as it was impossible for me to sleep in a bed absence serious medication.

Hope all goes well for the OP and the rest of you that suffer shoulder injuries.

Ron
I'll 2nd the recliner for sleeping after shoulder surgery. It beats the heck out of trying to sleep in a bed.

I need to see the orthopedist this week.......
I fell and my boss grabbed me by the left hand and snatched me up before I could set myself. Dislocated my left shoulder. Saw the ortho and he told me how torn up everything was. he said if it ever happened again, he would have to do a shoulder replacement. Next time it happened, I went to another doctor. It was bad enough if I was laying on the floor watching TV and dosed off, when I relaxed it would just fall out. I learned how to rotate my shoulder and it would pop back in. In high school and college I couldn't go for a fly ball with my left hand, and that was the one the glove was on. The weight of a base ball with my arm fully extended would pop it out. But after the initial incidence, it really didn't hurt bad. It would pop out and you could see the round part of my upper arm bone bulging under the skin. I could rotate it and you could here it pop. Grossed out a bunch of dorm mates in college. I bet it took 20 years before I could reach for a basket ball. I was 16 when it happened, I'm 68 now, and I have just learned not to do anything quick and fast with that arm fully extended.

Wasn't five minutes after I made the above post and my wife got home from babysitting the twins. We have a Bernese Mountain dog. She sheds piles of fur. My wife vacuums in the morning and I get it in the evening. I started in the family room with the Oreck, it can be a good bit of resistance on the Berber carpet. I switched hands and gave a push with my left arm not quite straight. It didn't pop out, but that lightning bolt of pain for just a second shot through my left shoulder. Even 50 years later, it can bite me. No big deal, it's just always there when I don't pay attention to what position my arm is in. The pic of my puppy is hunting camp in WV.
BfPpT1d.jpg

The vial just states oxycodone 10mg acetaminophen 325 mg. I believe Percocet was a branded name for the same
That is correct. Watch out for the Tylenol mixed in with some of those pills. Too much Tylenol will *literally* kill humans.

Dilaudid is just a brand name for morphine—pure morphine. Healthier than Percocet or anything with that poisonous Tylenol in it. But I’m NOT saying morphine is “healthy” just “less bad for you” than Tylenol in any quantity. Our kidneys no like the Tylenol and a doctor once told me I need at least one of those :)

Is that YOU in the 6 days video? Er are your one of the riders? Nice going man! I’m going to PM you.

Sux about your injury… every pro moto racer, badass lumberjack, skier whatever gets his worst injuries not going triple digit speed on a racetrack or whatever but slipping in the bathtub or parking lot or changing the sheets on his bed (that last one was me :eyeroll)

Hope you heal up fast fella.

Personally the ONLY thing I’ve found to work on pain is ICE. And ice hurts. But it works.

All those drugs… my personal theory (having taken ALL of them for injuries over the decades) is that they don’t make the pain “go away” they just make it so you temporarily stop caring… or they knock you out and you wake up to the throbbing pain after they’ve worn off. IME FWIW YMMV

Ummm, very little of that is completely accurate. Yes, too much acetaminophen (Tylenol) can cause death, but following the directions is safe. You have to follow the dosing instructions, or it will cause a long term liver injury. And if you use alcohol, the max dose should be reduced. Dosing should be weight based, with a daily maximum of 4000 mg per day. It injures the liver, not the kidneys. Ibuprofen, Naproxen and that family of medications cause kidney damage.

Dilaudid IS NOT morphine, but is an opiate. It's generic name is hydromorphone. And no, it IS NOT safer than Tylenol. Any opiate can cause death acutely, by suppressing the respiratory drive. Too much and you stop breathing.

You are correct in the last statement. Any pain reliever doesn't fix the problem, it just masks it, making your brain believe the problem isn't there.

Ummm, very little of that is completely accurate. Yes, too much acetaminophen (Tylenol) can cause death, but following the directions is safe. You have to follow the dosing instructions, or it will cause a long term liver injury. And if you use alcohol, the max dose should be reduced. Dosing should be weight based, with a daily maximum of 4000 mg per day. It injures the liver, not the kidneys. Ibuprofen, Naproxen and that family of medications cause kidney damage.

Dilaudid IS NOT morphine, but is an opiate. It's generic name is hydromorphone. And no, it IS NOT safer than Tylenol. Any opiate can cause death acutely, by suppressing the respiratory drive. Too much and you stop breathing.

You are correct in the last statement. Any pain reliever doesn't fix the problem, it just masks it, making your brain believe the problem isn't there.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think internet fighting is so silly.

You’re right. Dilaudid is a brand name for hydromorphone. What is another name hydromorphone commonly referred to? “Morphine”

And you’re 100% right too much of it can kill you. But too much water can kill you too.

Agree that if you follow the directions re Tylenol your body can tolerate it. But make no mistake Tylenol is toxic - to your liver your right I misspoke re kidneys. But I’m pretty sure having a liver is pretty important too :)

The point is we all wish OP a speedy and complete recovery and relief from his suffering.

Peace Dr. BeatCJ

What is another name hydromorphone commonly referred to? “Morphine”
I didn't intend for that to be interpreted as fighting. But the information was inaccurate. And while the actions of hydromorphone is similar to morphine, they are two completely different drugs just like aspirin and ibuprofen are two different drugs.

I didn't intend for that to be interpreted as fighting. But the information was inaccurate. And while the actions of hydromorphone is similar to morphine, they are two completely different drugs just like aspirin and ibuprofen are two different drugs.
This thread is about OP—wishing him well, giving him constructive advice to help alleviate his suffering and recover from a super painful brutal injury.

Squabbling about morphine is off topic and silly but for the sake of anyone who reads this post in the future and decides to rely on it instead of a doctor, you are correct that hydromorphone is NOT exactly the same as morphine—hydromorphine is MADE from morphine and has roughly 5x efficacy of morphine when MOD is IV (my dad was a doctor and all those times I was in the hospital he’d give me the PDR for “light reading” among other things… 🤣)

But let’s not quibble. Tylenol bad for organs but tolerable in small quantities. Morphine and it’s derivatives (I call it pure when it’s not mixed with Tylenol despite the fact that efficacy increases when they’re mixed) but pure morphine and it’s derivatives aren’t nearly as toxic in “follow the directions” levels (yeah I know they don’t give patients dosage info but let’s say PDR guideline dosage for example).

OP: IME YMMV having been a motorcycle racer and having suffered your exact injury… and having loads of regrets with all the meds they gave me… if it were me, I’d take dilaudid as sparingly as I could tolerate it for no more than 3 weeks, sleep in a recliner and ice it ice it ice it. And def go see your orthopedic surgeon and hope he can fix it without having to cut you.

But even if the doc has to cut you they’re waaaayyy better at it now than they used to be—generally they can’t do it all with one itty bitty hole (orthoscopically) and recovery is weeks not months and you’re gonna heal up fast and completely brother. Wishing you the best.

I will agree with that.

Shoulder injuries are miserable. All of the nerves going to your fingers run through there, so any inflammation will make you miserable. PT is your friend, and agreed, to the OP, Good luck and feel better.

Latest posts

Back