Dolmar 421 (420) 2014 made has massive air leak when warm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lc4_fan

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentlemen from Austria/Europe,

Introduction of myself:2017 i bought my first PS-420SC how its called in Europe did a little bit of cutting and stored it until 2021 when i rediscovered it and how much i actually like cuttin trees.
Soon after i bought several used mainly also 420 and 5105 as they are very cheap here due to the lack of brand name like Stihl/Husq, then a new 7910 before they went out of prod and still were really cheap here with prices from 6-700 €.

1 week ago i bought a very cheap 420 with 2 bars and many chains for 50 bucks with seller saying its not running likely ignition module or carb.

Got it, refueled after a quick check and gave it a go, as he said lots of sputtering or no fuel at WOT. i swapped a known good ign module - no change, then i cleaned the carb thoroughly and replaced a very hard pump membrane. Saw fired right up and ran pretty good. After saw was really warmed up after 3 cuts suddenly revs increased and chain spun pretty fast.
There was a story of a guy here from 2017 who had an endless warranty claim with Makita and also had an airleak on a pretty new saw back then. This one also didnt do much work yet, the sprocket almost has no marks from the chain, the saw was just a little covered in resin, rest very good. When saw was hot and running i sprayed starter spray under the sprocket cover - saw dies immediately. When i spray in fan housing it also starts dying but not as fast.

I then swapped the fuel nipple in the tank, the 2 fuel lines and the impulse line as they all were a little bit soft and enlarged and not very firm on the carb anymore.
Nothing changed saw cuts with lots of power but as soon as hot the air leak develops.

The saw is 2014 made and already has the Zama DM23 carb.
I wonder if it still has the 2 combination bearings with the seal integrated as they are quite expensive with 14 Euro a piece here compared to 2 Euro for 6201 bearing and 2 Euro seal from local bearing store around 2014 the IPL says they changed to 1 comb and 1 normal bearing.

What do you guys think? I definitely think the combination bearings are leaking.
Are those prone to do that even if saw isnt used much? That the saw dies extremely fast when i spray the clutch really hints me those seals tbh. I also tried to tighten the cylinder down and inspected the crankcase for cracks, absolutely nothing visible.

What are you recommendations? Does a bearing/seal combination exist for replacing the comb bearings (workaround)? I guess not without changing 1 crankcase half to get rid of 1 of those at least.

Many greetings from Austria, hope someone has a hint for me :)

Pull clutch & inspect. Vac & pressure test.
Even if the saw is new, leaving the brake engaged or a lot of cutting with the clutch slipping will likely cook the seals (amongst other things)

Latest posts

Back