Dump Trailer sidewall height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightone

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm wanting to buy a dump trailer for a tree service company that I am starting. It would be used mostly for hauling out larger chunks, but I was also thinking that in the future (when I get a chipper) I could build up the sidewalls a bit and use it for a chip trailer as well. I currently have access to a larger skid steer that could be used for lifting and dumping the larger pieces into the trailer, however, in the future I would like to get a smaller dingo/mini skid steer for when I'm working in more confined areas.

My question is would a 24" sidewall or a 48" sidewall be better?

The pros I see for a 48" sidewall are: out of the box it has more capacity and it built stronger for the larger logs that will be put into it. Also it is already fairly high height for a chip trailer. I'm worried that a mini-skid/dingo won't be able to read high enough to dump over the sides though.

The pros I see for the 24" sidewall are: I know the mini skid would be able to reach over the sidewalls to dump material, and it is slightly cheaper then a 48" sidewall.

Thoughts?

Get the 24” sides. Get a minimum of 7’x14’, if you can afford it. Get a BWise with a 15 or 17k lbs rating. Also get the hydraulic Jack if offered , makes a world of difference.
You’ll use the trailer for a ton of stuff, and having wood side extensions you can remove is invaluable for hand loading over the side, etc.
Dump trailers are heavy - 4,200 lbs- so make sure truck is up to task for conventional pull. There have been many times I wished I got the 16’. Good luck. D69DE89D-A358-485F-BDCA-355AA017DBB7.jpeg

2' walls and build removable extension. You may regret 4' walls when you're hand loading, or when your having to drop logs into bed because grapple can't get low enough. I didn't even build extensions for mine. If I'm trying to max out loads, I fill up bed with with brush, flatten it with saw, then logs, then pile more brush really high until it's about to topple. Maybe flatten again with saw if its not laying well. Then final layer of longest, straightest brush. Then I use 4x, 2" ratchet straps over the top and crank it down tight. Works great. On my max loads, I think I am getting close to 10 cy onto my 6x12 dump, and if it lays well, like crape myrtle, I may be getting a tad more sometimes.

Install 4 d-rings down each side like I did here, and that will give you something to hook straps to. Also, remove the short strap from ratchet and flip it over and you can hook onto d-ring and it wont' fall off ring as easily when you're trying to get everything strapped down.
20241006_140202.jpg20241006_141225.jpg

Back