Echo CS400 history and worthwhile addition?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my area, Home Depot had in-store only clearance price for a CS-400 w/18”bar. Stumbled across it online when the option to look at inventory at the various stores was still available. Had to visit two locations since the online inventory wasn’t accurate, but on Monday picked up one of the two that were available at the last store. They were in the shelves above the Echo display, but had a nice bright yellow tag with the $185 clearance price.

Great price for what should be a great saw made by the company that claims to have saws that last. As I recall the original owner of my CS-3900 who died 10 years ago paid $300 for it. His included the storage case that I still keep it in. After reading this thread I decided to start it up and it runs fine. One of my friends has a 500EVL and he still uses it to cut firewood every year. It's 10 years polder than my CS-3900. Take care of them and yes, they will last.

Gut the muffler, pull the carb limiters, retune it and replace the chain with some Oregon Versa-Cut. Keep the chain sharp. Unless you're in big stuff all day you won't be disappointed. Mine is a little wood laser.

Take the muffler off, take the little freckle tie and spark arrestee off. Then get a map torch and heat the seams on the muffler till they’re red hot and you can pry it open with a crappy flathead you don’t mind messing up a bit
No need to split the muffler, just take a 7/8" metal hole saw, which is the same size as the cat and drill the cat out on the back of the muffler, this will also open up the muffler hole in the back and leave the frame that held the cat in the muffler for support. I have done a dozen are more for folks along with pulling the carb limiter caps and re tune.

Back