Echo Cs590 won't start today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ning

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This saw usually starts for me like this: turn switch on, pull out choke, push decomp, pull twice, it'll burble, push choke in, pull a couple more times and then it goes.

I last used the saw last week with the above starting, and it ran great. Very happy.

Today, I absolutely can't get it started. I got a burble from the second or third pull but nothing further. I've pulled my shoulder like crazy, choke, no choke, whatever. Pulled plug after flooding, gave plenty of time for it all to dry out. Tried everything again... with and without sure filter... tried again and again.

The fuel is fine, it's fresh enough

Any suggestions?

Frustratedly yours,
ning

Ensure choke & run switch are off, remove plug, turn upside down & pull over until no more sign of mix leaving the plug hole (& a few more times for good measure). Clean & reinstall plug, run switch to on but do not engage choke, hold throttle wide open & pull over until it fires (can be easier to do this with a helper holding the throttle)

reinstall plug, run switch to on but do not engage choke, hold throttle wide open & pull over until it fires (can be easier to do this with a helper holding the throttle)

To make things easier it is also enough to use the throttle latch (fast idle). In the case of CS590 to engage throttle latch pull choke control knob all the way out and then return it to original position.

Also make sure idle speed is 2800 rpm.
Tachometers are very inexpensive on Amazon or eBay.
If he tries to run it the way he described, and assuming he hasn't changed the L and H settings, it shouldn't matter. When fast idle is active the throttle plate is open more than with the idle adjustment screw.

Personally, I would check that the throttle plate actually opens when the choke knob is pulled out and stays in that position when the choke knob is pushed back in.

Checked for spark: yes
Swapped to new plug just in case, gapped 0.026".
Choke does what one would expect.
No catch at all with lots of pulls, with and without air filter on.
Saw doesn't drop at all with pull cord test (yes I know that's not a precise test).

As previously noted, the saw was running fine the previous week (2 weeks ago now). Good gas, good plug.
Guessing the carb isn't flowing fuel, needs to be rebuilt?

I tried a bit of gas in the carb, new spark plug... nothing worked

until this evening I randomly decided to try it without choke. I pulled the choke out and pushed it back in so it would be on high-rev and it caught.

It's running rough and definitely needs adjustment beyond what the limiter caps are allowing so I'll pull those off tomorrow.

Ok pulled the caps and now it's idling nice and low and tears through the oak again.

All set.

I'm curious why it got tough there but I'll take it. I recall it stumbling on low/high transition before but the caps wouldn't let me get rid of it, and last it had been running well it was a very hot day so I suspect that the caps-limited tune was just working for once with those atmospherics and back to cooler weather it wasn't catching well with that tune so I was flooding it.

Hopefully when the saw is cold it'll start with this tune 😱

Back