Efficient Felling demonstrated by "Good Fellers"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It goes everything that I have ever been taught by guys that live on the saws, and I can’t say for sure if it was luck or not, but I wonder how many times he had to abandon the saw and run like hell!

Quintessential hardwood cutter right there boys.
For over 25 years I cut mostly barber chair resistant beech and hard maple. Within the last 10, predominantly ash. I have changed my style over the years to include the bore cut as the ash are prone to barber chair but that seldom has happened to me.

So when you think about it, which applies to hardwood trees, every tree has somewhat of a lean to it. If you don’t have to do anything fancy such as a directional cut or something, then starting on the low side and boring right through to the back of the tree I never see much chance for a barber chair.
Typically the only barber chairs I’ve seen are when a notch has been put in the front of the leaning tree and then the felling cut starting at the back of the tree. The saw gets about halfway through the felling cut and POP. Barber chair.

99.9% of veneer loggers use some sort of this type of felling.

Quintessential hardwood cutter right there boys.
For over 25 years I cut mostly barber chair resistant beech and hard maple. Within the last 10, predominantly ash. I have changed my style over the years to include the bore cut as the ash are prone to barber chair but that seldom has happened to me.

So when you think about it, which applies to hardwood trees, every tree has somewhat of a lean to it. If you don’t have to do anything fancy such as a directional cut or something, then starting on the low side and boring right through to the back of the tree I never see much chance for a barber chair.
Typically the only barber chairs I’ve seen are when a notch has been put in the front of the leaning tree and then the felling cut starting at the back of the tree. The saw gets about halfway through the felling cut and POP. Barber chair.

99.9% of veneer loggers use some sort of this type of felling.
truth right here. The entire concept of working simply with a back cut trying to get to a good hinge before things move to the point where Fiber pulls & in more extreme cases Barber Chairs happen is frustrating to watch for me. Directional Felling, spur cuts, even jump cuts all techniques with bore cutting to where Barber Chairs and fiber pulls are minimized is my world. And of course when its important where the tree goes, enough hinge and face cut to not let the hinge break before the tree is going the desired way. ALL with leaving as little stump behind as possible. Surprising to me, most forums are dominated with felling advice where the board foot price is obviously low for the feller as demonstrated by waist high stumps and fiber pulls.

truth right here. The entire concept of working simply with a back cut trying to get to a good hinge before things move to the point where Fiber pulls & in more extreme cases Barber Chairs happen is frustrating to watch for me. Directional Felling, spur cuts, even jump cuts all techniques with bore cutting to where Barber Chairs and fiber pulls are minimized is my world. And of course when its important where the tree goes, enough hinge and face cut to not let the hinge break before the tree is going the desired way. ALL with leaving as little stump behind as possible. Surprising to me, most forums are dominated with felling advice where the board foot price is obviously low for the feller as demonstrated by waist high stumps and fiber pulls.

It isn't a bd ft price, it's a contractual thing. All contracts I dealt with, working for the Forest Service have maximum stump heights written in the contract. It's in the first few pages. Then there is a provision about utilization. If it's a contract where scaling is used, you can bet I'd get onto them about stump pull. If it is a pay before cutting sale, the forester for the purchaser would be on them. Also, it is a safety hazard for the rigging crew if the jagger is left attached to the stump.

In other cases, the land owner ought to have educated themselves and be out "checking stuff", after specifying stump requirements in their contract.

As to falling advice on forums? You get what you pay for or are willing to work for. I'm skeptical. I'm not a faller but can tell by asking other folks in the area and watching a faller work. Guess I'm an experience watcher? And, other fallers will tell you who to watch out for. There was one guy I was told to be extra careful around. He was starting out and "Don't see too good". That said it all. His work was OK, and he got advice and help from his coworkers. People tend to watch out for each other on a logging site. Usually, mostly, but not always.

Latest posts

Back