Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I needed a air filter mount, cover, plastic hold down nut, safety fin and top cover for my 461 after a miscalculation of a branch falling. Stihl dealer wanted about $300 for the parts. They had the saw kit on sale for $279 so I ordered it. My saw is fixed now. I had to get the dremel to modify a couple of the parts but they worked fine. Now I have a spare box full of SPARE JUNK to modify if Something else gets broke.

I needed a air filter mount, cover, plastic hold down nut, safety fin and top cover for my 461 after a miscalculation of a branch falling. Stihl dealer wanted about $300 for the parts. They had the saw kit on sale for $279 so I ordered it. My saw is fixed now. I had to get the dremel to modify a couple of the parts but they worked fine. Now I have a spare box full of SPARE JUNK to modify if Something else gets broke.
Stihl parts prices are very much out of control over the pond. I'm always baffled. Stuff is much cheaper in Europe and I can by online. You're getting ripped of!

Stihl parts prices are very much out of control over the pond. I'm always baffled. Stuff is much cheaper in Europe and I can by online. You're getting ripped of!
Have ordered from several suppliers, England, Germany, Italy and Greece. OEM and aftermarket. Only drawback is time constraints, up to 2 to three weeks on most. E-bay for good used parts would have been my first choice, but the 461 body parts are usually in demand and often hard to obtain without a long wait.

Aren't "genuine" Stihl saws made in China, or at least largely from parts made in China?

If not, they must be one of the only consumer products on the planet that isn't...

Seriously, what IS still made in the USA, besides software, Mean Tweets and new pronouns?
Final assembly or total content? I saw an article that said that the car with the most North American content, parts and assembly labor, was a Subaru assembled in the US. It was still only about 50% US added value (IIRR). The Fords, GM and Chryslers were lower content but not by much.

Even though the new 362 I bought has Made in Germany on it, I am sure it has a Chiney carb on it. I haven't even put a torqs to it yet. That will happen in the next week. 8 tanks of fuel so far. It runs like a Stihl should.

That is a good list. Last I saw a couple of years ago it was a single model of a Subaru assembled in Indiana. Your list shows Honda (67%) have the most North American content. I am sure Husky and Stihl have a similar build philosophy. Who ever is cheaper and can meet their standards.

Sorry to hear of your frustrations! The only acceptable parts from aftermarket Chinese suppliers, I’ve found, are carburetor kits.

They have proven to be as reliable as OEM in the year and a half i’ve been testing them.

I offer my customers the option of aftermarket kits (both commercial and residential) for machines that do not warrant the expense of OEM prices, and I have not had any returns.

A commercial customer offered to test them for me long term. After six months and a year, the machines came back for routine service, and the kits remained soft and supple. To date, I have used over 40 kits without encountering any issues.

It is worth noting that I do not have ethanol fuel in my state; your mileage may vary if you do.

As a point of reference - the kits are about a dollar each, rather than 40+ from Zama / walbro.

Edit:View attachment 1178767
Question: In your opinion would it be wise to use a carb rebuild kit on a new 372xp Chinese clone saw? Meaning are the carb kits so reliable that it might simply solve problems before they occur?

Question: In your opinion would it be wise to use a carb rebuild kit on a new 372xp Chinese clone saw? Meaning are the carb kits so reliable that it might simply solve problems before they occur?
372 clone carbs are known issues. 50/50 chance IMHO. Best to get the walbro 372 carb.

Yes the ones that come on the clone pro one is walbro and they are made at their China walbro plant. 2015 https://www.walbro.com/locations/tianjin-china/

Attachments

• g372carbb.jpg
    g372carbb.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
Best to just get a real Husky.
Have those too. So many of those too over the years. Even those xtorq ones I dont count as I like the OE ones :laughing:
But some folks like that 200-400 cost option new over 900-1000 cost option new. ;):laughing:

Attachments

• h37216666.jpg
    h37216666.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 0
  • h372166.jpg
    h372166.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 0
  • h3721666.jpg
    h3721666.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
  • g444g372pr.jpg
    g444g372pr.jpg