FAST TACH - Anyone else not satisfied with their purchase?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banditt007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So at the tune of $95 i purchased the Fast tach. This is the one where you can replace the battery but it doesn't have any leads-its only wireless. I've so far tried it on a inverter generator-using a remote wire and laying the tach above the wire, the others i did wirelessly, and no items had a rev limiter. I also used it on a chainsaw, a string trimmer, and a lawn mower... The bottom line is i'm not impressed at all. In all instances the tach is extremely sensitive to where it is placed, and doesn't seem to work any more than 4" away from anything, no where near 15 inches. The tach will often show a full display of everything it can, like displaying all number 8's and anything else it can on the screen, like its resetting itself. Then after a few seconds it will start working again. I find sometimes it will be working okay, then i rev the motor up and it shows a completely wrong RPM (while it showed the lower RPM just fine). Its hard to get it to initially pick up the signal also, and often loses the signal, even when held in the same spot. Basically it doesn't work how I think it should, and sure as hell not for $95!!! Anyway anyone else experience something like this, or is this just how they are? In most instances i need to hold the tach in exactly the right position or it loses signal. I will be contacting the manufacturer and see if they will swap it for another one-and hopefully the problems go away. If it reacts anywhere near the same way, i'm going to request a refund.

Anyone else experience not what they expected from this item?

Tach threads come up and I've read through. I'm gonna be buying one soon, so I'm interested in everyones input. I see the ones that use reflective tape, and I don't think those will work on a saw. Then it seems like some have a wire that wraps around the coil wire. How do the wireless ones work for saws?

I've been using a Fast Tach very regularly for the better part of a year now with no problems. Yes, it needs to be very close to the plug wire, but I seem to remember reading while researching that the optimal distance is 4"-5", so it wasn't a surprise to me.

I like mine and would recommend it to anyone looking.

I've had mine for years. Works great.
hey in your sig where it says details here, when you click on it it does the 404 not found thing. figured i'd let ya know. I tried to PM you but couldn't figure it out. I then tried to post to your wall, couldn't figure it out. This new template thing is gonna take alot of getting used to.

I have the DTI -20K and a SenDEC Max-Tach (which I believe is similar to the Fast-Tach). Both of them can be a little wiggy when used wirelessly. When used with the leads, they both work fine. The 20K has finer resolution, and is my preferred tach. The 20K takes a 9v. battery. The SenDEC Max-Tach has a non-replaceable battery, and actually stays "on" all the time. I'm thinking about Velcro taping the SenDEC to slap it on the top cover of any saw I'm using at the time.

I use the DTI 20k also and like others, never had a problem. It is a bit large but form follows function.

Back