File size for a pole pruner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffkrib

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I recently picked up a shindaiwa multi tool with a pole pruner attachment.
The manual for the saw says the saw is a 3/8 pitch .043 gauge 10 inch Micro Lite.
It says use a dia 4.5mm file to sharpen......... I've never heared of that size for chain sharpening.
I have a stihl file guide wich use dia 5/32 = 4.0mm and another 3/16 = 4.8mm but no dia 4.5mm.

Should I use one of my existing file guides or is there an in between size avaliable?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

If you use Stihl chain then 5/32 is what is called for. It is kind of strange Oregon calls for a bigger file for the .043 lo pro than the .050 lo pro. I also think that 4.5 mm or 11/64 is called for the 33 sl chain in .0325 that is not a favorite on here. The Carlton chain n4c I believe would also call for 5/32 as it is the same cutter as the n1c as best as I can tell. It generally tells you what file to use on the box or a paper insert in the box and that should be more applicable than what the manual states. Manual is correct for Oregon micro lite chain of that type.

I have never seen a file guide for an 11/64 diameter 3/8 lo pro but the files are at the local hardware store I often go to. I would say just use your 5/32 and get Stihl chain next time.

Interestingly, I found this on a UK site - it looks like Stihl recommends the same:
File%20Size%20Stihl.gif

I found that confusing too. I spoke with an Oregon rep and he told me that the type 90 chain (3/8 low profile, narrow kerf, 0.43 gauge) has a different cutter profile than the type 91 chain (3/8 low profile, 0.50 gauge), which is why the different file diameter. 4.5mm, 11/64" is optimal, but a little harder to find. I have used the 4.5mm file and guide on my Oregon 40 V pole pruner and it cuts really well, even slightly aggressively.

If I could not find it, I would use the 5/32" file and guide.

Philbert

I found a Stihl cardboard box, I could find the sheet that comes in the clear plastic boxes if I walked farther. At any rate I stand by my statement 61pmm3 the current 3/8 lo pro in .043 gets 5/32" file. I have used enough of it and the 5/32 seems to fit for the first time it gets sharpened.

Attachments

• Stihl cardboard box back.JPG
    Stihl cardboard box back.JPG
    67.4 KB
Stihl recommends 11/64" for 3/8"x50 and 3/8"x063 according to what I found.
I don't use the larger stuff however the cardboard box calls for 13/64 on the stuff that starts with 33 and 7/32 for the stuff that starts with 46. I do not see 11/64 anywhere on the box. It does have 5/32 for 63pmx with the other ripping chain at the bottom.

I don't use the larger stuff however the cardboard box calls for 13/64 on the stuff that starts with 33 and 7/32 for the stuff that starts with 46. I do not see 11/64 anywhere on the box. It does have 5/32 for 63pmx with the other ripping chain at the bottom.

My mistake, meant to type 13/64". This is from Stihl's USA website. Click on the Accessories tab for file sizes.
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/saw-chains/rs/

Latest posts

Back