final decisions...!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm cutting with my older brothers stihl (041) and i am buying a new saw this week sometime...Im definately going to go with jonsered because i've heard they're a good saw and my dealer is less than a mile away from me. So my question is how big...i was really thinking about the 2149 but i have a friend with a 50 cc saw and it really didnt like the bigger wood that we were cutting. For another 100 bucks i can go ten cc's bigger and be close to the same size i'm working with now. I am into a lot of limbing work, but also cut some good size trees for firewood...i love the power so what should i do? :rolleyes:

If the weight thing is paramount and most of your work is smaller stuff with occasional bigger work, go with the 2149 and have Dennis Greffard tweak it up. This will probably boost HP and torque up to 60cc and beyond performance, as well as keep the saw reliable. This may cost a little more money than the $100 premium for the bigger saw, but not much.

new saw

The 041 has a lot of low end torque which you will give up with a smaller saw, any brand. If you like that power, spend the extra hundred. Cheap satisfaction insurance. Also does the smaller saw run 3/8 chain? You are used to those big chips!

yea

Im leaning towards the bigger saw so i don't have to buy another one real soon....you can cut little stuff with a big saw but that doesnt go the other way!
Luke

Bogger,

I bought an 046M thinkin the same premise. That a big saw can cut small and large. Boy does the thing rip like mad with an 18" bar on it. Bury the whole bar in soft wood and it goes like mad. If you’re used to big power then stay with big power otherwise your going to kick yourself every time the wood gets big. Just a thought, best of luck and have fun shopping.

FINAL DECESION

I THINK IF YOU DO THIS ON A STEADY BASIS,YOU WILL END UP WITH OR WANT AT LEAST 2 SAWS.1 SMALL AND LIGHT FOR LIMBING,CLIMBING ETC.AND 1 LARGER SAW FOR FELLING. I WOULD BUY THE SMALLER (2149 GOOD CHOICE) FIRST AND TRY THAT. THOSE BIG SAWS GET HEAVY AFTER A WHILE. WHEN YOU DECIDE YOU NEED A LARGER ONE...WELL THE FUN STARTS ALL OVER. AFTER A WHILE ,YOU"LL PROBABLY HAVE A SMALL FLEET OF SAWS AND LOVE ALL OF THEM.LET THE CHIPS FLY!

I agree,don't buy a "little bit bigger"saw to do the job of a small and a large saw,buy the little one and get a real felling saw later.I've got an 60cc I'll probably never use,the 50 or 72cc is always a better choice.buy your 2149 and have walkers do a muffler job,it'll cut like a 60 and you'll be in much better shape when you're ready to move up.

saw choice

If you are only going to have one saw< I would buy the 2159 Jonsered. with a 20 inch bar and run .325 chisel chain.

If later, you wnat something lighter, buy a CS 40 John Deere or a 940 EFCo (same saw). I know no better saws in either size class.

Thats my biased opinion.

The 2159 (359) may be a real sleeper. I've only set up a few of them, and haven't seen how they will stand up to abuse, but they do seem to cut a lot better than you expect for their size.

saw choice

I'm pretty sure im gonna go with the bigger saw and somday when i get more money i will look into buying a smaller saw....

Dennis..can you get a muffler for this saw? (2159)
Later

saw choice

I'm pretty sure im gonna go with the bigger saw and somday when i get more money i will look into buying a smaller saw....

Dennis..can you get a muffler for this saw? (2159)
Later

muffler

Hey dennis,
If I send you the muffler can it have a few hours on it or not...if not its not a problem getting a new one from you... the only problem is that my dealer hasn't got his shipment of new saws in yet! When I get the saw I'll be talkin to ya
Luke

Latest posts

Back