Firehose bar covers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsrover

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This has been mentioned once or twice but I thought I'd post a picture.

As much as I like my Stihl saws, the bar covers are crappy. My local firehouse has piles of un-certified hose laying around and gladly gave me a chunk. It's perfect for a bar cover and can be cut to any length you need. I'm going to go back and see if they've got any thinner stuff for my skinny bars too.

Jim

sheath.jpg

Thats a great idea! What ever works is my motto and they don't look too bad!
Plus you save some money on bar covers to buy more goodies.

what is that 3-4" hose,,, i guess it wouldn't really matter but i person could prolly but a hog ring or something in the tip to seal it up, prolly wouldn't make a difference either way tho, good stuff-might have to get some

4-5 inch CJRL (cotton jacket, rubber lined) is the stuff you're looking for. A little bit of jimmy-rigging some inch and a half on to cover the dogs, and you're fully set.

Fire hose make a good edge cover too. You can also run some rope thru it and use as a tree protector! It's almost as versatile as duct tape!!

Old thread, but better than starting a new one on a similar topic. I have seen a lot of comments on using old fire hose as a guide bar scabbard/cover. Seen some at GTGs too.

Was wondering if anyone has ever had problems with moisture or rust using these?

The heavy rubber is waterproof and sits closer to the guide bar than some of the molded plastic ones. Wondered if this could lead to rust during storage. Anyone had problems with this?

Thanks.

Philbert

Old thread, but better than starting a new one on a similar topic. I have seen a lot of comments on using old fire hose as a guide bar scabbard/cover. Seen some at GTGs too.

Was wondering if anyone has ever had problems with moisture or rust using these?

The heavy rubber is waterproof and sits closer to the guide bar than some of the molded plastic ones. Wondered if this could lead to rust during storage. Anyone had problems with this?

Thanks.

Philbert

You might ask Andy "Dodgegeek". I think he and Sarah use them...

Thanks.

Philbert
Hey philbert I'm a firefighter. Most of the hose we in the fire service use is double walled canvas fire hose the rubber hose you're talking about is use on front lays for garbage fires etc the nice thing about the rubber hose is it drys quick you don't have to hang it like normal canvas fire hose to dry. By the way we use canvas hose to cover our saws at the department. I really wouldn't see a problem using either what ever you can get the cheapest

I've been using the rubber lined and all canvas interchangeably for a couple years without issue, doesn't stay on the bar all that well sometimes but can't beat the price. Use it at work as chafing material too, protecting rigging. Tough stuff.

This is rubber impregnated supply hose . Does the canvas hose come in wider with's/larger diameters?

Philbert
That's most likely five inch or 4inch supply line used for getting water to the hydrant it would work but be lose we use 2.5 inch hose and split a couple and gromet them together.

Latest posts

Back