For the Diagnostic Wizards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FBerkel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not too many guys still using Shindaiwa 357's, but I've had one for over4 years, almost every day use, and all at once it gave out, wouldn't kick over at all.

I assumed it was electrical, so I put in a magneto and tried it. Now, it only runs on choke. Did I misdiagnos it? Has to be carburator, right? Or could the magneto gap have anything to do with it? Any ideas?

Thanks,
--Fred

If it kinda runs on choke, and has spark, I'd think that you have a fuel flow problem. Again, first places to check are fuel lines and blocked jets in the carb.
Since it quit all at once, fuel filter probably isn't the culprit but if you have run it daily for 4 years and got crud in the carb it might be worth changing it anyway.

On some saws there is an external hose (external relative to the carb) that connects the fuel pump diaphragm to the crankcase. Saws that don't have this hose have an internal passage that does the same job. This passage can get plugged with carbon as easily as the hose can crack or otherwise fail.

Latest posts

Back