Found in an old log cabin being torn down in Missouri

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice story! A friend bought a house in the country and planned to tear it down. When they did, they found it had been built around a log cabin built around 1817. I tried to salvage some logs, thinking they might be Chestnut, but were White Oak. I was able to make a couple mantles but that was it - too far rotted.
I went into an old mill up in Massachusetts that was being torn down. Delivering something on a flatbed and went looking around. The basement supported the first floor with square 12 x 12 posts every 5 or six feet under the square cross beams and the building was football field size so a lot of post. Guy running the crew said they were salvaging all the old whitewashed beams. Seemed a little odd till I took a jack knife to one. Chestnut. All old growth chestnut. Guy said they would ship them to Japan for wood carving or something. At the time in the 90s the man said they would bring $3,000,000 or so. That didn't include the antique brick, oak flooring etc. Building was a goldmine the town sold him for $1 to get taken out of there.

I went into an old mill up in Massachusetts that was being torn down. Delivering something on a flatbed and went looking around. The basement supported the first floor with square 12 x 12 posts every 5 or six feet under the square cross beams and the building was football field size so a lot of post. Guy running the crew said they were salvaging all the old whitewashed beams. Seemed a little odd till I took a jack knife to one. Chestnut. All old growth chestnut. Guy said they would ship them to Japan for wood carving or something. At the time in the 90s the man said they would bring $3,000,000 or so. That didn't include the antique brick, oak flooring etc. Building was a goldmine the town sold him for $1 to get taken out of there.
Wow! 😯 Incredible.
There's a lot of old barns and drive sheds in my area being given away. If the frames are mostly sound, it's usually the Amish coming to take them. Never would have thought there'd be so much value in an old rundown building.

A famous musician from not too far away from me bought a property with an old barn on it. Had it converted it into a live concert venue

Wow! 😯 Incredible.
There's a lot of old barns and drive sheds in my area being given away. If the frames are mostly sound, it's usually the Amish coming to take them. Never would have thought there'd be so much value in an old rundown building.

A famous musician from not too far away from me bought a property with an old barn on it. Had it converted it into a live concert venue
Ex girlfriend had a house with a 100 yr old barn behind it she wanted removed as it was falling in. Some guys came and did it for free in exchange for them keeping all the hand hewn timbers in it.

That happens pretty often around here. Amish come and take the complete barns, usually pay some for them too. Several years ago a bunch of people moved a barn complete, was quite the going on for around here. Think it's been named the star barn, down in my joy/e-town area. Coupple falling down barns I've seen timbers and the tongue and groove up for sale in market place get wiped out in a coupple of days. Sure is a to see such great buildings come down, but I'd rather see them reused then just burned or trashed.

That happens pretty often around here. Amish come and take the complete barns, usually pay some for them too. Several years ago a bunch of people moved a barn complete, was quite the going on for around here. Think it's been named the star barn, down in my joy/e-town area. Coupple falling down barns I've seen timbers and the tongue and groove up for sale in market place get wiped out in a coupple of days. Sure is a to see such great buildings come down, but I'd rather see them reused then just burned or trashed.
Agreed - I hate to see something that took so much time and effort to get done just go to waste. I myself like to repurpose everything I can.

Also, love your display pic and caption buddy 😁

Up here in SW Wisconsin, more than fifty years ago, my dad helped take down a barn. A county road was going through or being widened. It wasn't very long that they discovered that most of the timbers and all of the siding was walnut!! A bunch of gun stocks came out of the 8x8's. Lots of pretty old trunks and boxes were built with the siding. Some of the boards were a full 24" wide and 1"+ thick....

Back