FS80 - What should my replacement trimmer be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would buy a ECHO SRM210 its lite weight, well balanced, dependable, and has enough power to do all but the toughest jobs. Shindiawa is also makes great trimmers maybe heavier but may have more grunt too.I would stay away from the C4 simply because they haven't been time tested yet.

If you have several dealers with several products close by visit them all check out products ask questions and fell the dealer out maybe even ask them about the problem you are having with your stihl to see if they try to help or just sell you a new trimmer. Sometimes the dealer is more important than the product.

Mr Joat.

I am pleased to see you have finally defected to the Dark side. Allow me to guide you to the Echo SRM-210. This will be your new best friend. Soon, you will have a 576xp and a Homelite as a backup.

I used my SRM 2400 commercially for five years, and ten years home use. Still runs great, and I sold it to my community veggie garden. Excellent tool.
My SHinny trimmer dissolved a fuel line and all the hoses, and the gas tank leaked. After all that it still won't start. I have cleaned the carb three times, and now I guess it needs a new carb. Has had very little use. A pig compared to the Echo, imo

Tommy can say what he wants about old gas but I always ran my Stihl trimmer dry in the off season and it stihl had lousy acceleration, vibration, clutch rattle etc. Back to the dealer multiple times and the best he could do was tell me to "thank the EPA" :mad:

Finally after 8 long years I wore the lousy swine out and replaced it with this little swan....Dolmar/Mitsubishi (strato) and holy cow, I had an epiphany....The grass can be a lot greener on the other side! ;)

trimmer.jpg

I have a Stihl FS88, at least 10 years of age, that starts every year on the third pull... most reliable piece of garden equipment I own.

Treat your equipment well, it will reward you for it. I have heard also lots of good things about Kawa garden tools, truth to be told. But can't speak for service or parts availability...

Tommy can say what he wants about old gas but I always ran my Stihl trimmer dry in the off season and it stihl had lousy acceleration, vibration, clutch rattle etc. Back to the dealer multiple times and the best he could do was tell me to "thank the EPA" :mad:

Finally after 8 long years I wore the lousy swine out and replaced it with this little swan....Dolmar/Mitsubishi (strato) and holy cow, I had an epiphany....The grass can be a lot greener on the other side! ;)

trimmer.jpg

So true Fastcat. I can't help but grin. You think the grass is alot greener on the other side, that is so true for others as well. I will sell well over 200 trimmers this year to folks that were using other brands. Most of them will tell me they didn't get 8 years, or 7 years or even 3 years out of the brand they are switching from. I hear it over and over and over every year so tant no big deal to me, in fact its so common I don't even pay any mind to it at all. Oddly when I get em on my list they come back for the blower, the saw, the hedgetrimmer and on and on. Before long they know no other brand at all, :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Yup, SRM 2400 since 03? Starts on 2-3 pulls. .090 line. Plug and filter changes that's it.
One of the things I like about Echo is that I can find parts on-line for them as well as my Husky saws so I don't have to deal with a ticked off dealer mad because I interrupted his lunch to buy parts.

So true Fastcat. I can't help but grin. You think the grass is alot greener on the other side, that is so true for others as well. I will sell well over 200 trimmers this year to folks that were using other brands. Most of them will tell me they didn't get 8 years, or 7 years or even 3 years out of the brand they are switching from. I hear it over and over and over every year so tant no big deal to me, in fact its so common I don't even pay any mind to it at all. Oddly when I get em on my list they come back for the blower, the saw, the hedgetrimmer and on and on. Before long they know no other brand at all, :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Apparently your customers never owned a quality trimmer.....Probably had something like those WeedEater, Craftsman or Macs from KMart.....Yep, so true, my Stihl trimmer was a lot better than that junk, just not in the same league as the above (pictured) trimmer.....Sorry Tommy....Been there and done that. Years ago I owned junk, moved on to Stihl and realized it's not all that and a mug of beer.

Now, I guess you could call me a discriminating buyer, I'm more concerned about function, than fashion.....Stihl may sell the most and may be the most popular OPE to own but I could care less about who thinks I'm kool (aid) because I own a Stihl. Anymore, I just want the best for my money. :)

Apparently your customers never owned a quality trimmer.....Probably had something like those WeedEater, Craftsman or Macs from KMart.....Yep, so true, my Stihl trimmer was a lot better than that junk, just not in the same league as the above (pictured) trimmer.....Sorry Tommy....Been there and done that. Years ago I owned junk, moved on to Stihl and realized it's not all that and a mug of beer.

Now, I guess you could call me a discriminating buyer, I'm more concerned about function, than fashion.....Stihl may sell the most and may be the most popular OPE to own but I could care less about who thinks I'm kool (aid) because I own a Stihl. Anymore, I just want the best for my money. :)

So my customers aren't as bright as you, okkkkkkkk. I can't understand why the Town of Leesburg here uses nothing but Stihl. They got slews of Stihl blowers, trimmers, chainsaws, sold to them by yours truely. All the fire companies around here are Stihl only. The golf courses around are here using Stihl. Most of the landscapers here are Stihl and Echo, a few Shiny's, not a Dolmar in site. So your telling my all those guys don't know what they are talking about and you do, the numbers don't add up. All those guys are drinking kool-aid, I don't think so. You seem to be the black sheep in the crowd and thats all fine and well, everyone to their own but to say they're using Stihl because of fashion is non-sense, they're using what they feel is the best for their money just like you.....

So my customers aren't as bright as you, okkkkkkkk. I can't understand why the Town of Leesburg here uses nothing but Stihl. They got slews of Stihl blowers, trimmers, chainsaws, sold to them by yours truely. All the fire companies around here are Stihl only. The golf courses around are here using Stihl. Most of the landscapers here are Stihl and Echo, a few Shiny's, not a Dolmar in site. So your telling my all those guys don't know what they are talking about and you do, the numbers don't add up. All those guys are drinking kool-aid, I don't think so. You seem to be the black sheep in the crowd and thats all fine and well, everyone to their own but to say they're using Stihl because of fashion is non-sense, they're using what they feel is the best for their money just like you.....

Tommoe ole boy,

How about tellin' the rest of the story. Since ole PH is dead, didja think the whole story would remain untold?

The fair Village of Leesburg was at one time a multi-faceted rainbow of colors with OPE of all stripes and colors. The Shinnies, the RedMaxes, the Huskies, the Echos, the Kawasakis, the Tanakas, the Dolmars and even a stray Stihl or two. The skies were a deeper blue, the clouds a whiter white, and the trees a greener green. Humankind was never at a higher level as pleasantries were freely exchanged on the street, fairness reigned supreme in business transactions and friends gossiped not.

Then, one day, it all seemed to change. The multi-colored landscape faded into an sickening cremesicle hue. The non-Stihl OPE seemed to disappear overnight and people at once became unpleasant as distrust became the rule. The pleasant, cool, crisp chablis of the past turned into a tepid witches brew of murky Folgers. The Italian operas and melodious sonnets turned into a freakish sideshow of pulsating pelvises and mono tone dronings.

Yes, it all seemed to change the day that ole Tommie became the head barker at the TWP circus. Old, high quality OPE was removed and replaced by its Stihl counterpart. Oh, for a moment, the Stihl seemed OK, but then it happened. Life as we know it ended.

Know you know the rest of the story,

Good day!

Last edited:

Nope, I'm not saying I'm brighter than your customers. I'm saying they probably owned junk before. I'm also saying, I've been there and done that, based on your lecture, about all your customers you've converted, after buying a Stihl trimmer. :laugh: That doesn't make me brighter, maybe just more experienced. :D

I don't even think the Dolmar trimmer is all that....Some of the Echo's, Shinny's and Kaw's may be better but oh yea, it's definitely a better product than my Stihl trimmer was......Not my fault your golf boys and fireman got the shaft...:sword:

Most of the people I see with stihl buy for fashion. They cant tell you anything about the product or why they choose it over another brand.
They just think its the best because it says stihl. It may or may not be the best. When it comes to cities, fire dept, golf course's and such often the people who buy the product are not the ones using it and care less about it.

And as far as im concerned there is no brand that has the best product in all category's. Mostly they stick to the same brand for other reasons like close dealer, good dealer, ease of buying all parts and servicing all equipment at one place.

Just because something is popular does not make it the best.

Nope, I'm not saying I'm brighter than your customers. I'm saying they probably owned junk before. I'm also saying, I've been there and done that, based on your lecture, about all your customers you've converted, after buying a Stihl trimmer. :laugh: That doesn't make me brighter, maybe just more experienced. :D

I don't even think the Dolmar trimmer is all that....Some of the Echo's, Shinny's and Kaw's may be better but oh yea, it's definitely a better product than my Stihl trimmer was......Not my fault your golf boys and fireman got the shaft...:sword:

Fast I like to see that crystal ball your using in which you get all these assumtions as to what they were using before. Now your more experianced than professionals who use their tools to make a living with, wow, you know more than them that are out there everyday. Fast the hole your digging for yourself is getting deeper, you should give up before its over your head,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I have spent many hours of my life behind numerous string trimmers and I can tell you that the best string trimmer i have ever used and still currently use is my old Shindaiwa T270. Couple that with the shiny “speed feed” head and the aluminum D front handle and you will not find a better trimmer that is as powerful and comfortable to use. They occasionally pop up on ebay but always fetch crazy monies. I am not and never will be a “stihl head” but all things considered, the fs110r is hard to beat if you need a decent trimmer and brush cutter. If you need just a decent trimmer the fs100rx is top notch. You can always customize either with a speed feed head or a decent front handle. Give us a shout back to see where you end up. Good Luck!

Tommoe ole boy,

How about tellin' the rest of the story. Since ole PH is dead, didja think the whole story would remain untold?

The fair Village of Leesburg was at one time a multi-faceted rainbow of colors with OPE of all stripes and colors. The Shinnies, the RedMaxes, the Huskies, the Echos, the Kawasakis, the Tanakas, the Dolmars and even a stray Stihl or two. The skies were a deeper blue, the clouds a whiter white, and the trees a greener green. Humankind was never at a higher level as pleasantries were freely exchanged on the street, fairness reigned supreme in business transactions and friends gossiped not.

Then, one day, it all seemed to change. The multi-colored landscape faded into an sickening cremesicle hue. The non-Stihl OPE seemed to disappear overnight and people at once became unpleasant as distrust became the rule. The pleasant, cool, crisp chablis of the past turned into a tepid witches brew of murky Folgers. The Italian operas and melodious sonnets turned into a freakish sideshow of pulsating pelvises and mono tone dronings.

Yes, it all seemed to change the day that ole Tommie became the head barker at the TWP circus. Old, high quality OPE was removed and replaced by its Stihl counterpart. Oh, for a moment, the Stihl seemed OK, but then it happened. Life as we know it ended.

Know you know the rest of the story,

Good day!

Welp Joat ole boy lets tellem the rest of the story about your weed trimmer while we're at it. Now did you make that call yesterday, did you call the number I sent you that would had gotton the show on the road about your weed trimmer?? If ya did good, if not I got no mercy cept to say drive safe over to your next power equipment dealer. Ya see Joat when ya been in the biz for while and have learned how folks operate sometimes its best to letem go. Its nothing personal of course, just for the best. I did for ya what I could for ya, if thats not good enuff have a safe trip, you know my motto, I may smell your azz but I'm not gonna kiss it,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Welp Joat ole boy lets tellem the rest of the story about your weed trimmer while we're at it. Now did you make that call yesterday, did you call the number I sent you that would had gotton the show on the road about your weed trimmer?? If ya did good, if not I got no mercy cept to say drive safe over to your next power equipment dealer. Ya see Joat when ya been in the biz for while and have learned how folks operate sometimes its best to letem go. Its nothing personal of course, just for the best. I did for ya what I could for ya, if thats not good enuff have a safe trip, you know my motto, I may smell your azz but I'm not gonna kiss it,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Tommie,

Well, here's where we stand.

I went to the dealer last evening and picked up my trimmer and all the pieces. I hope all the pieces are there. I called a nice John Deere/Stihl dealer this morning with the part number and she said she would order the part today and it should be here tomorrow or Thursday. She'll call. Didn't even have to give my cc#, just my name and phone.

Today, the Kawasaki dealer didn't have the model that Erick recommended. It is a fair piece from my house and the only one in the area.

The RedMax dealer had two nice units, but they looked to be at least a couple of years old judging by the model number.

I do appreciate the phone number and names you gave me. Lighting a fire under this my dealer's azz may have been called for, but I've already waited over 30 days for him and don't want to continue wuih them.

Now, I'll eat a big slice of humble pie and say that it's not easy buying a Shinny, Kaw or RedMax in my neck of the woods. And, I will go on to say publicly that Stihl has fine trimmer products. Looking at weight, power and price, they look hard to match, let alone beat.

Now, if I lived in Leesburg, I'd be happily trimming away while whistling "You aint nothing but a hound dog".

Here's to Tommie, :cheers:

Joat

Last edited:
Tommie,

Well, here's where we stand.

I went to the dealer last evening and picked up my trimmer and all the pieces. I hope all the pieces are there. I called a nice John Deere/Stihl dealer this morning with the part number and she said she would order the part today and it should be here tomorrow or Thursday. She'll call. Didn't even have to give my cc#, just my name and phone.

Today, the Kawasaki dealer didn't have the model that Erick recommended. It is a fair piece from my house and the only one in the area.

The RedMax dealer had two nice units, but they looked to be at least a couple of years old judging by the model number.

I do appreciate the phone number and names you gave me. Lighting a fire under this my dealer's azz may have been called for, but I've already waited over 30 days for him and don't want to continue wuih them.

Now, I'll eat a big slice of humble pie and say that it's not easy buying a Shinny, Kaw or RedMax in my neck of the woods. And, I will go on to say publicly that Stihl has fine trimmer products. Looking at weight, power and price, they look hard to match, let alone beat.

Now, if I lived in Leesburg, I'd be happily trimming away while whistling "You aint nothing but a hound dog".

Here's to Tommie, :cheers:

Joat

Well Joat let me be the first to say you should not have had to wait 30 days, 15 days or 2 days. The problem you described I usually fix on the spot, its a 15 minute job at most. The dealer drug his feet and he let you down and yes he deserves a fire under his butt. You should still call that number and tell the people what the deal was. Dealers like you described need to be put on notice but they won't be unless they are pointed out. They get away with that non-sense because good guys like you hate to turn their sorry butts in. You should do it for the next guy that might stumble in that mans door. You'll feel good knowing you did what was right. There is no excuse for the poor service you've been putting up with from that place so make the call, a 30 day wait for a $3.05 part and a 15 minute job is over the top, totally uncalled for, make that call!!

Now listen up ole Mr Joat. If there are any parts missing you PM me. I'll not only make the call for you I'll make sure you get whatever part you need for free. If Stihl won't supply them I will but I think they will after your ordeal with that dayumm place. If they won't its no sweat, just tell me what you need. Keep me updated,:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kawasaki-Weed-Eater-Trimmer-KGT27B-New-String-Trimmer

To your door service. :D

OK looks like a have a little retracting to do as well :mad:

I was getting ready to be a smart azz and post up the link for you to have it delivered to your door and then a link for the IPL so you could order parts if you needed them...... Well my trimmer is the KGT27A the trimmer I linked you to is the KGT27B and in going to get you the IPL I see that the "B" model is stratocharged :dizzy: :mad: so I will retract that and say..... try to find you a KGT27A.

I full well stand behind everything I've said about the KGT27A but I can't vouch for the "B" strato model so I will say proceed with caution. Both my blower and my trimmer are straight two strokes and I can't say enough good things about them.... however the KRH300 handheld blower I was telling you about is a strat and cat and it's the only piece I'm not real impressed with, so I say proceed with caution and check it out for yourself. Like I said I think my issues with the handheld blower are in the carb and I am very pleased with the build quality (minis a few little tweaks that should have been done at the factory) and power/performance/functionality of the unit I'm gonna slip another carb on it and see how that goes.

So in short Joat, check it out for yourself the "B" model may well be as good or better than my "A" model but I have no first hand experience with it. ;)

And for Tommie and 2K....... my KGT27A will still cut circles around your FS100RXs :p

:cheers:

BTW heres the -->IPL<-- for the "B"..... since I went through all the trouble of looking it up. :laugh:

Back