Future Career as Forester vs Logger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NarrowGlint

Reaction score
I am currently a freshman at SUNY ESF in New York. I am planning on getting an Applied Associate Degree in Forest Technology, and probably not coming back for my bachelors in Forest Resource Management.

I have considered becoming a forester in the future but from what I understand the foresters just make the plan and mark the trees, and maybe they don't get to actually do the falling and bucking (I could be wrong). I am very interested in actually doing the logging, I have chainsaw and tree-falling fever and all that and I absolutely love it. I am curious if I lean on the side of actually becoming a logger (or possibly getting into treecare) is it worth it to go back for a bachelors? Or is the associates good enough or is college not even really worth it for logging? I considered not going to college, but the 2 year degree seems like a perfect middle ground. What are your guys thoughts? College? No college? Forester? Logger? I understand this post has probably been done before and I looked but I still had some questions. Thanks alot guys

No need for collage if all you are looking for is experience as a logger. My guess is you will change your mind in short order and go back to school and take Forestry. All time spent learning logging won't be wasted because that is the part of Forestry that only experience can give you and makes you a more valuable to employers who are looking for a land manager or forester.

There are many different fields in Forestry, not just make the plan and mark the trees. A forester may wear many hats, today he may be running a survey crew, or doing a timber cruse, planning a prescribe burn, land management, and a host of other things involving Forest Resource Management.

I have a 2 year degree. I retired after 30 something years with the USFS. I worked in timber most of that time and I think I've done everything from planting trees to working on the ground with timber sale contracts. A two year degree teaches you basics, but limits your career if you want to go up the ladder. But, if you think you'll be happy working outdoors, which is what I did, it's enough.

A guy on a rigging crew said that I had the perfect job. I could be around logging but didn't have to do the actual "logging".

I also cut blowdowns out of roads and for a few years tried to be a road engineer but that had too much in front of a computer time and I found sitting all day to be harder on my body than stumbling around in the woods.

If you decided on that route, I think you'd have no trouble finding a position with the feds. There seems to be a shortage of foresters and forestry techs right now. During my last few years, I could just about work anywhere where there were timber sales because there was a shortage of certified sale administrators. I don't think that has changed either. I was able to work in five different states and see some interesting country.

That's my experience.

I have a 2 year degree. I retired after 30 something years with the USFS. I worked in timber most of that time and I think I've done everything from planting trees to working on the ground with timber sale contracts. A two year degree teaches you basics, but limits your career if you want to go up the ladder. But, if you think you'll be happy working outdoors, which is what I did, it's enough.

A guy on a rigging crew said that I had the perfect job. I could be around logging but didn't have to do the actual "logging".

I also cut blowdowns out of roads and for a few years tried to be a road engineer but that had too much in front of a computer time and I found sitting all day to be harder on my body than stumbling around in the woods.

If you decided on that route, I think you'd have no trouble finding a position with the feds. There seems to be a shortage of foresters and forestry techs right now. During my last few years, I could just about work anywhere where there were timber sales because there was a shortage of certified sale administrators. I don't think that has changed either. I was able to work in five different states and see some interesting country.

That's my experience.
This is really good insight and I truly appreciate it. I've got a lot to learn.

I am currently a freshman at SUNY ESF in New York. I am planning on getting an Applied Associate Degree in Forest Technology, and probably not coming back for my bachelors in Forest Resource Management.

I have considered becoming a forester in the future but from what I understand the foresters just make the plan and mark the trees, and maybe they don't get to actually do the falling and bucking (I could be wrong). I am very interested in actually doing the logging, I have chainsaw and tree-falling fever and all that and I absolutely love it. I am curious if I lean on the side of actually becoming a logger (or possibly getting into treecare) is it worth it to go back for a bachelors? Or is the associates good enough or is college not even really worth it for logging? I considered not going to college, but the 2 year degree seems like a perfect middle ground. What are your guys thoughts? College? No college? Forester? Logger? I understand this post has probably been done before and I looked but I still had some questions. Thanks alot guys
If you have the backing & support now go for the full 4 years. Life tends to get expensive as the calendar slips by. And it slips faster and faster every month...

One can always work below their education but the fabled "glass ceiling" is more like bullet proof lexan if you lack the diploma-key.

Go work in the Forest now...as a piler or a volunteer to see & smell the Forest. Keep your mouth shut & your hands busy & your eyes & ears open. Store your saw until someone tells you you've earned it- it may be 100s of hours till then...meantime you'll be seeing others mistakes as lessons without risking your skin.

Take the online FSA chainsaw safety course. Know it.
Rule # 1 always is everyone working in the Forest must arrive home safely everyday. Live it.

May the Forest be with you.

Attachments

• 20240829_145159.jpg
    20240829_145159.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
If you have the backing & support now go for the full 4 years. Life tends to get expensive as the calendar slips by. And it slips faster and faster every month...

One can always work below their education but the fabled "glass ceiling" is more like bullet proof lexan if you lack the diploma-key.

Go work in the Forest now...as a piler or a volunteer to see & smell the Forest. Keep your mouth shut & your hands busy & your eyes & ears open. Store your saw until someone tells you you've earned it- it may be 100s of hours till then...meantime you'll be seeing others mistakes as lessons without risking your skin.

Rule # 1 always is everyone working in the Forest must arrive home safely everyday. Live it.

As a side note to this.

I have told this story before and it is not necessarily Forestry but safety related.
A good older friend of mine who is now in his 70's, was clearing some trees on his property one day. I am pretty sure he was alone and sawing.
He is a retired captain in the Baltimore County Fire Dept, and after what happened, I bet he never expected to be nearly beheaded and needing to be life flighted to the trauma hospital in Baltimore City.

The damage was done by a tree limb he was cutting that was under tension. The suddenly free portions are what practically tore his head off. His recovery was slow and involved after the Trauma team saved him. Moral of the story, watch, listen and be on guard for the dangerous conditions you may face, and if sawing, know how to read the trees and do your sawing accordingly to ensure safety.

I totally agree. I couldn't afford a lot of school. Kept trying to save up for more but the price kept going up. But, it all worked out, for me.

We'd be scrambling up a rocky steep slope to get to another part of a unit with our boss hollering that while most people pay to do rock climbing, we got paid to do it. On the other side, foresters and forestry techs aren't that well paid. You have to like it.

As a side note to this.

I have told this story before and it is not necessarily Forestry but safety related.
A good older friend of mine who is now in his 70's, was clearing some trees on his property one day. I am pretty sure he was alone and sawing.
He is a retired captain in the Baltimore County Fire Dept, and after what happened, I bet he never expected to be nearly beheaded and needing to be life flighted to the trauma hospital in Baltimore City.

The damage was done by a tree limb he was cutting that was under tension. The suddenly free portions are what practically tore his head off. His recovery was slow and involved after the Trauma team saved him. Moral of the story, watch, listen and be on guard for the dangerous conditions you may face, and if sawing, know how to read the trees and do your sawing accordingly to ensure safety.
Yeah safety is no joke in treework. I got hit by my first widowmaker the other day and my hard hat saved my ass. Ill never take it off again! I wish more people in the business would take it seriously. I have been fortunate enough to learn by the right people so far. Thanks for sharing.

Never did the full collage route, did most of my education through course training in collage and much was learned when I was in the USACE back in the 70s.

Learned Surveying, land navigation, map reading, heavy equipment operation, all of which came in handy when I got out of the service. First job in the forest industry was a job with Container Corp. as a Surveyor, there I learned timber cruising and how to value product, and how best to manage the resource.

Did land evaluation where we would timber cruise, then estimate land productivity and set a value for the land and timber. This is where I got into land management later on.

Got into Prescribe Burning when working with Container Corp, went and took the necessary course studies to become a Certified Prescribe Burn Manager.

Much of this stuff can now be taken online

I earned an A.S. in forest technology back in '79. I worked summers logging (setting chokers, chasing on the landing, driving water truck and lopping) until I graduated. After school I went into timber cutting in large part because I was born with an excessive amount of energy. My plan was to get my B.A. after I turned 40 but that never happened. Here in California logging basically shuts down in winter due to too much snow (remember the 1960 winter olympics were held in California) and that allowed me to do forestry tech work in the off season. Of course with all that snow I spent a lot (most) of my time skiing. Aside from the injuries, a pretty dang good life!

But your room will have a lot more doors in it if you have a B.A.

Latest posts

Back