gauge and flat file at lowes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
for those who like me have trouble getting the gauges rite on chain ,lowes has a gauge set w flat file . its set at .25
i used it yesterday and it seemed to serve its purpose.think it was 5 bucks or so.

Is that for the depth rakers? I usually run mine at 35/1000 or better. I'm sure the 25 thou is for the homeowner stuff they sell. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS, they sell HUSKY, don't they? :p

25thou for home owners - i guess i dont even qualify as that since my rakers are at 20thou and i am able to cut quicker than if they are 30thou....now 35thou im sure thats all different:rolleyes:

taking the rakers down too far is a common misconception down here amongst the rednecks - too bad its not all that simple.

As I keep my chains extremely sharp, I can get away with a lower raker and throw bigger chips with less resistance. I don't dog my saws or lower the rakers to make up for lack of sharpening ability. If I need to adjust chain tension (chain drooping more than 1/8"), I touch up the teeth. I won't even run a brand new chain until I've sharpened it.

Sure, there may be 'rednecks' in AK who flatten the rakers on their power-ported saws to make up for lack of sharpening ability and just force their way through the wood. Might even be a couple around here.

why if your chain is sharp you might be be able to get by with it cutting loblolly pine or something soft, but using long bars in hardwood that just does not work. maybe peeling the bark off before cutting might make it possible, but seriously i guess the type of wood makes the difference, but unless you're art martin i dont think you'll cut faster with 35thou in true hardwood than i will with 20 thou even though i am no expert filer.

PS. The acronym for Arkansas is AR, AK would be Alaska.:eek:

might be one of my problems with depth gauges. i had read it as .25 instead . 025.
slite difference there. :) never said i knew it all . least not around anybody old enough to understand the words meaning. now my grand daughter know knows her paupau knows everything.:)

I've got saws with chains on them that literally have no depth guages. They still have enough power to keep that chain churnin...

Big old Homelite gear-drive monsters are cool:blob2:

Homelite gear drives ??? What do you know about them, I have a 700G & am tring to get it "Back in shape"

My first experience with one (got it on ebay) not in bad shape, I need a sprocket. has 1/2" pitch 28" bar

How big is the motor on this thing & how old is it?? I am guessing early - mid 50's and 75-80cc ??

Latest posts

Back