Good quality 80 Drive Link Husqvarna Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've ended up with a dozen or so 80DL Husqvarna SP33G chains. I like the chain for my use, but the 80DL Husqvarna XF-250 bars are garbage. Nose sprocket seizes up in short order. No lubrication point, and not sure what they do differently compared to other bars without a grease hole, but they just don't hold up. I don't have the same issue with the HL-250 bars running SP33G chain, which are 78DL.

I'm considering just shortening all the chains by 2 links, but half way want to stay with 80DL because that's what I can readily get in town at the local Ace and Tractor Supply. The closest saw shop is 30+ minutes from home, and over an hour from the farm where I am usually using my saws. I would much rather deal with the saw shop, but logistically its not as easy...especially if the need for chain arises on a random Saturday or Sunday.

Small mount for a 346XP.

That many chains, convert to 78, 80 odd ball ,

Its odd in a sense that not many bars are out there that I can find, but its on every tractor supply shelf, and both local Ace hardware stores, where as I never see 78 DL on the same shelf. I essentially want to standardize everything I have on hand, and be able to buy spares in person without planning. That may be a bit of a tall ask.

Best I can tell is the 80DL bars are what is common on the homeowner/big box saws. It just so happens that SP33G chain is what they run on them, which is a chain that performs well for my needs.

Getting 78DL loops made up at the saw shop is no issue, but zero chance of that happening on a Saturday or Sunday, where as both tractor supply and ace are open all weekend long.

Its odd in a sense that not many bars are out there that I can find, but its on every tractor supply shelf, and both local Ace hardware stores, where as I never see 78 DL on the same shelf. I essentially want to standardize everything I have on hand, and be able to buy spares in person without planning. That may be a bit of a tall ask.

Best I can tell is the 80DL bars are what is common on the homeowner/big box saws. It just so happens that SP33G chain is what they run on them, which is a chain that performs well for my needs.

Getting 78DL loops made up at the saw shop is no issue, but zero chance of that happening on a Saturday or Sunday, where as both tractor supply and ace are open all weekend long.
There’s a fair bit more good quality bar options with 78DL,

There’s a fair bit more good quality bar options with 78DL,

For sure...I fully recognize that...but none of those, and no decent 78dl chain, is available to me when the need would arise, locally. Trying to proactively avoid getting in a bind regarding chain availability on a weekend. The likelihood of wrecking multiple bars is far lower than chains. Nearly all of my cutting is clearing fence lines, trials, etc. Dirty wood, on old farmland. Finding an old barb wire fence buried in wood is common. Probably overthinking it....just looking to see if there is anything out there I am missing. I would rather the bar be the part of the equation I have to order/have on hand in advance than chain.

Back