Good quality 80 Drive Link Husqvarna Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try this new C33 Xcut full chisel if your like the SP33 semi.

I just ordered some to try out to compare to the 23RS old name was 23RS pro.

Timed cuts by local racer was 9% slower but that is do to 058 at top of drive links giving hair wider kerf on it's 050. Where the new stihl is true 050 at top of DL on it's 050 chain.
He also said the C33 felt like it wanted powerful saws to it's liking

C33 was on the winning ported 550xp at sawfest this year untouched out of the box. Last year newer 23RS was winner. But they said the wood hungry.

Pic is my 23RS on my echo.

How does that hold up in dirty wood? Its pretty rare that I am cutting anything that isn't pretty dirty.

@Squareground3691

Here some more info showing. We had a thread on this in my group while back.

Evan shown the old RS left with the thicker 063 058 050 chassis to the RS pro which now just RS now too.. True 050 chassis to give it that narrower kerf.
Notice top plate narrower.
Yup ,and a different cutter profile,

Couldn't tell ya. It's new. But you sound like you need semi then.

Thats definitely the driver of this whole dive down the rabbit hole. Semi works incredibly well for me, and I have a bunch on hand that is brand new. Not sure the exact count, but definitely at least a dozen chains. Most have never seen wood and are stored in a bucket of oil.

I made it up to the saw shop today because I was close by for work. Husqvarna rep happened to be in there. Shop said that they stock the 80 link chains, but refuse to sell the bars in an effort to steer everyone they can to the more common 78DL setup. Husqvarna rep was at the counter when I was explaining my dilemma of having a lot of 80DL chains. Rep has been with Husqvarna a long time...I remember him back in my Sunbelt days, which ended in 2010. Anyway, he gave me the rundown of the background on the 80 link bars. Said that back in the day that a higher up at lowes insisted on that configuration for some unknown reason, and Husqvarna went along with it. Since they were doing it in retail packaging that trickled down to other settings that carry the same consumer line as Lowes, including TSC. Back when that all first came about was when Oregon was still making their bars, and those were more or less the same quality as the more common 78DL bars. Fast forward to the updated line, and those have been cheapened up a bit, however they do still catalog a better version to sell through full line dealers, which is the HLN-250-80, and has a greaseable sprocket. They have one on the way for me, which will hopefully last the life of the chain collection I have on hand.

For the Nk or I guess pixel .325 Oregon had the ML and the MP bars Microlite is a trademark I think that was the lower grade similar to double guard. The MP one probably was made from the same sheet stock as the pro91 bars at that time. I have one Husky bar that claimed to be in the literature at the time comparable to the MP bars. Now they (Oregon) like new trademarked terms, aluminum cores and different country of manufacture.

For the Nk or I guess pixel .325 Oregon had the ML and the MP bars Microlite is a trademark I think that was the lower grade similar to double guard. The MP one probably was made from the same sheet stock as the pro91 bars at that time. I have one Husky bar that claimed to be in the literature at the time comparable to the MP bars. Now they (Oregon) like new trademarked terms, aluminum cores and different country of manufacture.

Yep. And have dropped 80DL bars from their lineup completely. They do have a chain offering, and on Northern Tool's site there is a big disclaimer of "Fits OEM bars only."

Latest posts

Back