Got a new Stihl MS 361 Z! And my "senior moment" that then broke it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelleen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, after going thru this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/185909.htm
and this one:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/186651.htm

I ended up buying a brand new in the box MS 361 from a guy who had purchased one new, never started or even fueled it up, and decided to sell it for $450.00:
View attachment 209309

So in my previous threads, I had noted that this was going to be my first pro level saw, so go easy on me when reading how I messed up my saw before I had even paid for it.

When I went to get the saw, I was somewhat concerned that I might be getting a refurb, or other used saw, however when we opened the box it was obvious that the saw was brand spankin' new, and had not even had the tank filled yet. I opened the air box cover, etc and it was obvious this saw had not been started or even fueled.

So I was pretty happy, I had brought some fuel, and just wanted to start the saw quickly just to make sure it would start and run, without any obvious issues. I put in about half a tank of fuel, put on the choke and pulled the rope about a dozen times without starting. So we then opened the manual to read the starting directions ;)

The manual, on page 8 it states "make sure the chain brake is engaged", well I do not normally do that (perhalps I should), but I went ahead and engaged the chain brake, and followed the rest of the directions for starting: put into full choke position, pull until you get a burp or start, then half choke then start. So after about 30 or more pulls, it finally primed, burped, and then started, so far so good ( do you see where this is going? :laugh: )

So now the saw is running but for some reason, it wont rev up! I admit that I was kind of distracted by the thought I was getting this great deal on a great saw. So I'm giving it the gas, and I cannot figure out why the saw seems to be bogging out as if under load, when all of a sudden I smell and see smoke comming frome the side case! Then I figure it out! I left the stinkin brake on!

So I kill it and check the damage, there is now fairly substantial smoke comming from the area of the clutch and brake assembly. Pulled the side cover off and the clutch bell is very hot, not red hod, but hot enough that spit sizzled off it. Also the brake material has blown out from around the sides of the clutch bell :angry:

After releasing the brake and taking the chain off, I tried to free spin the clutch and it is pretty stiff, but at least it spins with some effort. I pulled the C clip off and tried to remove the clutch bell and it will not come off. There is some flaky looking stuff that looks like burn lubrication oil around the shaft where it exits the clutch bell.

So after admitting to the guy I had screwed up, I went ahead and paid him for the saw. I just got it home, and am now wondering what I need to replace? Im thinking obviously the brake or brake material, but am wondering if I might have fried the clutch bearings, or ????

The saw ran for about 30-45 seconds with the brake engaged as noted above.

How hard is it to replace the brake or brake material, any other suggestions (yeah I know, flame suit on!) ?

I did start and quickly run the saw after reassembling it and making sure the brake was off, and had no issues, and it ran as it should. Just ran it for about a minute though.

Thanks for any help, obviously the laughs are at my expense :msp_sneaky:

Most likely you need to replace the brake band, clutch drum bearing, brake cover, and maybe the clutch shoes. I'll attach a picture of the parts diagram to show you those pieces.

Take a look at all those parts, especially the brake band and clutch drum.

attachment.php

Thanks! What is the differnec between item 14 and 6? I assume just the model of saw?

Be glad you bought a PRO model saw bud, cause if that were a clamshell it might have melted down and been totaled. Sheit happens.

JJ has led you right, just pay attention to how it comes apart and goes together. It's pretty straight thru.

Don't forget to put a lil smear of grease where it tells you to. Like on the needle bearing.

There isn't any "brake material", just a steel band that locks around the clutch drum, when the brake is on. If the clutch drum moved at all, it was because of either a too loose brake band, or misplaced lubricant, or stale grease in the clutch bearing, caused by the saw sitting too long (most likely).

I don't usually put the brake on when starting a saw though, and have no experience with an issue like this.

The plastic cover over the brake is more or less the only issue I have with the construction of the 361. It is messed up on mine, by a single derailing chain - but I have been told they are cheap......

Thanks to all, ordering parts today, fixing it tonight.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the deal I got as well as the saw.

Congrats on the new saw! No worries, I am sure your saw is fine, just a couple parts to replace. You got it for a song so don't sweat spending a bit more for your parts.

Back