Got hyped up for a new saw... then the wife's got something to say...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sting

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I do thank everyone for their advice on the saws... however, as always the wife has got to harp about it... she's convinced I mgiht find a better deal if check out some used stuff and shop around a bit more... *SIGH* I can see her point, and honestly, it couldn't hurt.

Anyway, I'm starting to look out for some used saws... to appease her... what advice can you guys give me in this regard. I've already spied out a couple of candidates...

A stihl 026 (ad line follows) :
"Stihl, O-26 chain saw, 18" bar, like new, owner manual included, $175"

A Husky 257 (I found a post on this site, its 57cc, 3.8 hp, right? What is this saw like?):
"Husqvarna chain saw, in excellent condition, model 257, with 18" bar, runs good"

Thanks again, fellows!

Lat year I bought my wife a new Jonsered 2149, thinking she'd be happy.

Wrong. She saw right through me.

This year I bought me a shiny new Husqvarna, one that I really didn't need...but I sure wanted it and the price was right. I tried to hide it from her...wrong answer; it was 395XP, and pretty hard to hide, especially when my brother-in-law wanted to see my new toy. In retaliation, she donated one of my other saws to our church'es annual fundraiser garage sale.

MOral? I don't know. Get what you want, then pay the consequences!

Hey Sting, I`d be down there checking out that 026, if it really is like new then that`s a hell of a price. Nothing at all wrong with the 257 but it will seem a little bloated compared to the 026 which will handle every task you mentioned. Russ

What should I be looking for when I look at used saws? Anything in particular?

And are there things that should warn me off right away?

Thanks again!

Eyolf, I hear ya buddy on trying to hide saws from a wife. When I came home from Boonville a few weeks back with a couple of shiny new MS260s in boxes to resell, I very deliberately told my 5yr old son, who was with me, don`t lie if mommy asks you if I bought anything, but don`t run in and tell her either. I know, how much can you rely on a 5 yr old. So first thing next morning she says what did you buy? I tell her some glasses and gloves and little stuff. She says oh yeah, nothing else? Me, "nope". She "well I saw those two new saws in your truck, where`d you get them?". Turns out the little guy was good for his word, she had gone outside during the night and checked out my truck to see what I had. Moral of this story is don`t get involved with anyone like my wife, get someone who respects boundaries between yours and hers and ours. BTW, an important footnote so that you guys don`t think I`m just some cad who lies to his wife, I`m the sole support of my son and stepdaughters, and most of my wifes expenses. She covers the rest of her expenses with the support money she gets from her first ex husband. I should have recognized that something wasn`t right with her attitudes way back when but I didn`t, but maybe I can help someone else out. Russ

Training

Steve Here... If you don't train em' on the little things, forget about buying the big things... I agree with Eyolf, I just bring the stuff home... Oh, by the way honey, look what I just picked up.....isn't this cool!! Works almost every time for me.

Hi Ben, I wish I`d bought about 50 of them at the price I paid, but alas I only bought two and they are both long gone. Sorry, Russ

Hi Z4Lunch, I`ve been trying to train her for 14 years and to no avail so I gave up, I`m going to let her boyfriend try, they deserve each other. As for bringing stuff home, you are right, if you need it or want it bad enough you should be able to justify it. I was just trying to make a few bucks quickly and pass on a great deal to a few people. Russ

Why would anyone have to "clear" purchases with their wives or vice-versa? My wife gets what she wants and I get what I want. We both understand the limits of our means at any given time and that's about it. Just buy whatever you want and that's the end of it.

Last edited:
Sting,
On that 026 you want to check a few basics. Make sure it starts and runs well, and the oiler is pumping oil to the bar and chain. If you run it a 1/2-3/4 throttle for 15 seconds, you should be able to see fresh oil on the bar and chain after you shut it off.

Check compression by holding the starter rope and letting go of the saw. If the weight of the saw pulls out the starter rope, don't buy it.

Look for burnt or blue areas on the bar along the chain guide. If the saw has been pinched and wedged a lot, the bar could easily be bent and the chain binding will generate enough heat to burn the bar. A good Stihl bar is about $40.

Chain and sprocket are wear items, don't worry about them, just plan on replacing them either immediately or in the near future.
My last receipt shows the Stihl 26RS74 chain at $20.70. Sprocket was $5.44.

chain brake

Sting, Treeclimber is right on all points, I just want to add you need to check the chain brake , run the saw 1/2 throttle let off the trigger then push the brake forward, the chain should positively stop , then pull back to release......I also vote for the 026 :)

some folks just dont allow for addiction.
my wife gave me bad looks when i was buying my used saws . i told her unless
i get snowed. it was bout like money in the bank. im selling some now and shes all smiles. until i get straightened out an come in with a 372 or another 028 etc.
and i will . i really want to try this 372 someday but not yet. could have used on a downed family oak mon. just the pt that had slit off was 48 inches thick. didnt measure the main trunk. cant count that high. heavy an wet ,an i had to thro the sections over a 4 ft fence.to old for that stuff,but rite proud after i did it.when u older u never know what u can do until u check u self out. sorry for going on.:)

I feel

you should be looking into what you want out of life and a used 026 isn't going to cut it. I was down that road and since I've divorced that problem i never look back.

I was once prepairing to hide something from my wife and sat down and felt if I have to hide something this is not right. My wife worked about 12 hours a week and prepared for marathons and triathlons 5 days a week. I was working 60 hours and we lived great "no kids" but it was always ok for her to go to the city and get hightlight in her hair at $250. a pop.I was married to the cheapest woman in the world until it came to her wants.

Life is to short to be hideing what you want out of life.

Marky,
"Often in Error, Never in Doubt"

Everybody's relationship is different; it sounds like Doug has a pretty good thing going. My wife has far different priorities for "our money" than I do. I earn it, I provide the things our family needs, but we differ on the importance of certain luxury items. Our kids are old enough that Mom is going back to work as of now, so I'm certain things will get better in some ways.

To be fair, I do not need as many chain saws as I have. 15 years ago when we met, I managed a church camp and took work on the side like thinning plantations, clearing homesites or rights of way, or shinnying up trees and removing dangerous limbs. I was never a certified arborist, I just owned a chain saw, and liked earning money with it. Eventually I gave up on the church camp, got a real job with decent bennies, and slowly gave up on the chainsaw work. Finally about 3 years ago I was forced to admit I was beat...my day job was turning into a major moneymaker due to advances and promotions, and I was unwilling to invest in some of the equipment I'd need to buy to turn the sideline into a real business. Plus I won't ever see the sunny side of 40 again.

Funny thing is, until that time I used whatever chainsaw I could get at a fair price when the old one wore out, and never had many saws at once...now I can't get enough of 'em. My wife has a point; maybe new furniture is more important than an overgrown hobby!

Back