Greasing clutch bearing on outboard/inboard clutches.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I searched many posts, and there seems to be differing opinions on whether clutch bearings need to be greased at all, as well as whether one should use oil or grease to lube the clutch bearings.

I admit, I never grease/oil them, unless I happen to have it apart (almost never)... and then its just a splash of motor oil.

So for my Echo CS370, Poulan Counter Vibe 3700, and Husqvarna 55, do I need to be disassembling and greasing the bearings?

If so, how often?

Would full synthetic high temp wheel bearing grease be best?

Den.

Pump grease into the bearing through the hole in the end of the crank .

Its made to be greased.

Grease it

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I grease the clutch bearing usually 1 1/2 pumps till the grease just shows a little out of the seam between the clutch bearing and shaft. At the same time I clean the bar groove, check the rails, dress if needed, grease the bar nose and assemble. All at the same time while the clutch cover is off. Clean the air filter. Maintenance do it right and nothing will bite us in the field.

Can’t afford the time to do maintenance, can you afford that saws down time for repairs? The cost of a little grease?

I appreciate that my 281 I can grease through the end of the crank. My ms362 does not have a grease hole so I’ll do it when I take the clutch off to do a cleaning.

They don't need much grease. Bearing let's the hub spin at idle when the clutch is disengaged. To much grease ends up somewhere else, like inside the clutch hub around the clutch etc.. you don,t want the bearing to get dry is a good guidline. If it does it will eventually stick and your chain will keep turning at idle.
Usually takes a few or more drops of oil on the bearing to get it working if it does.
They do wear out, not exactly a clean environment they function in.
I give mine a very light coat of grease whenever I have the hub off. Saws that have been inactive may need fresh grease as old or to little drys or corrodes and sticks.

They don't need much grease. Bearing let's the hub spin at idle when the clutch is disengaged. To much grease ends up somewhere else, like inside the clutch hub around the clutch etc..

Agreed. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. There is a point of over packing bearing. This pertains more to sealed high speed bearings, but the concept of too much grease will generate more heat. Heat caused by the rollers trying to plow there way through a mud pit of grease.

As Brushwacker pointed out, the clutch bearing only turns when chain is idle. So it's under very little use or stress. I grease only when clutch is removed, once in a blue moon, and have never had a failure. Been running saws since the '70s this way. You're more likely to cause a problem with too much grease than too little.

The last saw i disassembled the clutch bearing felt like it had square needle bearing rollers. Lack of lube stuck the rollers I guess.

Who will be the first saw manufacturer to put a hole in the clutch cover so the clutch can be greased often without removing the cover?
I have seriously thought about this... several times!!!

Have you done it bill?
I personally don’t see an issue doing it in terms of functionality, but if something doesn’t work after I don’t want to pay for a new one, they are expensive.

Would be nice to drill a hole and plug it with a rubber plug of some sort so that debris cannot clog up the clutch if that’s an issue at all.

Actually I do, I grease it every time I come back from a trip. I suppose it is a non issue lol, judging by the other responses. If husky thought it was a real issue then they would have left a hole in the side cover I sppse

Do you guys really grease the damn thing that much????!!

I grease the clutch bearing when I pull the clutch cover to clean the saw. Once a week at least part time running more if full time use, unless it’s choked up with saw dust.

They don't need much grease. Bearing let's the hub spin at idle when the clutch is disengaged. To much grease ends up somewhere else, like inside the clutch hub around the clutch etc.. you don,t want the bearing to get dry is a good guidline. If it does it will eventually stick and your chain will keep turning at idle.
Usually takes a few or more drops of oil on the bearing to get it working if it does.
They do wear out, not exactly a clean environment they function in.
I give mine a very light coat of grease whenever I have the hub off. Saws that have been inactive may need fresh grease as old or to little drys or corrodes and sticks.

Good points. Makes good sense.

Latest posts

Back