Greenworks H.O.G.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is something about squeezing the trigger and hearing and smelling my chainsaw BUT there is no reason whatsoever that a battery saw can’t preform as well as a gas saw. Obviously you’ll have to refuel that battery saw more often than a gas saw but I find myself using my cheap little ryobi 18v saw almost exclusively around the yard. It’s so nice to toss it between my feet on the zero turn and be able to pull the trigger and not even get off the mower.

Battery saws are no where near where they need to be to run them all day in the woods but they’ll get there.

I’d also like to see the saw above buried in some white oak with a 24” bar.

Sure looks impressive in the video. That appears to be the 4.0ah battery. Battery tech just is not there yet except for a short burst like shown. If I take the 82 as nominal as opposed to peak voltage I get a run time of 5.79 minutes at 3.4kw. That is draw of current not force on the chain. Which is 10.4C 4C is about the most one wants if they care about cycles to failure.
Using 6 ah and 4.3kw from the article linked below I get 8.77C. Is 10C (Discharge recharge could be in another post) really at the produced and for sale to manufacturers now?

at best we are getting 200 watt hours per kg. 328 watt hours would be 3.6 pounds and 492 watt hours 5.4 pounds of cells maybe the housing for the battery as well.

If you had a back pack battery then the tool's duty cycle like a welder's duty rating would be the limiting factor.

pouch cells what is the likelihood it has battery cooling?

I found this text on a review at https://www.protoolreviews.com/greenworks-commercial-82v-h-o-g-chainsaw/
The saw is slated to launch at Greenworks Commercial retailers around fall 2024. Expect the price to run $1499 for a kit that includes a 6Ah pouch cell battery and a dual port charger.
Relying on a 6.0Ah pouch cell battery for power, the brushless motor can produce 4.3 kW. The stock bar is 20 inches, but this is the first battery-powered chainsaw rated to handle 24 or 28-inch bars.

I take this to probably mean 6ah battery for the 24 and 28 inch bars. . I could not get the owners manual to download on my connection.

Price alone is already a major turnoff, just as much as coming with one battery. Assuming franny even came close to run time estimates it's going to need at least 2 or 3 more batteries to get any meaningful work done. I like my little 12" dewalt for what it is, but even that seldomly gets used from short run times between batteries.

Price alone is already a major turnoff, just as much as coming with one battery. Assuming franny even came close to run time estimates it's going to need at least 2 or 3 more batteries to get any meaningful work done. I like my little 12" dewalt for what it is, but even that seldomly gets used from short run times between batteries.
A lot of us aren't worried about how much work we can get out of these big saws. It's just the idea of having one. 😅

After the disappointing experience of the MSA 300 I would argue that battery saws are best left to small stuff since the battery technology isn't even remotely close to being sufficient for powering a large saw with a 20"+ bar & chain. Aside from "just having one", it's hard to see much value in a saw that runs out of juice so quickly. It's kind of like having an electric car with a 15 mile range--sure it works for certain uses but it's so easy to exceed its capacity that it's hardly worth owning unless space and money are not a factor.

There is something about squeezing the trigger and hearing and smelling my chainsaw BUT there is no reason whatsoever that a battery saw can’t preform as well as a gas saw. Obviously you’ll have to refuel that battery saw more often than a gas saw but I find myself using my cheap little ryobi 18v saw almost exclusively around the yard. It’s so nice to toss it between my feet on the zero turn and be able to pull the trigger and not even get off the mower.

Battery saws are no where near where they need to be to run them all day in the woods but they’ll get there.

"Battery saws are no where near where they need to be to run them all day in the woods but they’ll get there."
And when they do, nobody will be able to lift one. Just saying. :cool: OT

And when they do, nobody will be able to lift one. Just saying. :cool: OT
With the battery tech we have today I'd agree 100%. Just have to get the battery dense enough to store a more meaningful amount of energy than what is available today.

Makita makes a battery pack backpack deal. I have a feeling others in the outdoor tool space may do the same to get either more power, more run time or both.

With the battery tech we have today I'd agree 100%. Just have to get the battery dense enough to store a more meaningful amount of energy than what is available today.

Makita makes a battery pack backpack deal. I have a feeling others in the outdoor tool space may do the same to get either more power, more run time or both.
Husqvarna has had the backpack for a couple years or more, now.

Might be okay for landacaping/lawncare, but you can't be running around the woods running a saw with that kind of a pack on; too expensive, too vulnerable, too clunky.

Sure looks impressive in the video. That appears to be the 4.0ah battery. Battery tech just is not there yet except for a short burst like shown. If I take the 82 as nominal as opposed to peak voltage I get a run time of 5.79 minutes at 3.4kw. That is draw of current not force on the chain. Which is 10.4C 4C is about the most one wants if they care about cycles to failure.
Using 6 ah and 4.3kw from the article linked below I get 8.77C. Is 10C (Discharge recharge could be in another post) really at the produced and for sale to manufacturers now?

at best we are getting 200 watt hours per kg. 328 watt hours would be 3.6 pounds and 492 watt hours 5.4 pounds of cells maybe the housing for the battery as well.

If you had a back pack battery then the tool's duty cycle like a welder's duty rating would be the limiting factor.

pouch cells what is the likelihood it has battery cooling?

I found this text on a review at https://www.protoolreviews.com/greenworks-commercial-82v-h-o-g-chainsaw/
The saw is slated to launch at Greenworks Commercial retailers around fall 2024. Expect the price to run $1499 for a kit that includes a 6Ah pouch cell battery and a dual port charger.
Relying on a 6.0Ah pouch cell battery for power, the brushless motor can produce 4.3 kW. The stock bar is 20 inches, but this is the first battery-powered chainsaw rated to handle 24 or 28-inch bars.

I take this to probably mean 6ah battery for the 24 and 28 inch bars. . I could not get the owners manual to download on my connection.
Is this the saw?

Attachments

• Greenworks GS181 Chainsaw Operator Manual.pdf
    10.2 MB
That link seems to be the owners manual for a Greenworks commercial chainsaw (gs181 on page 1) that is about all I can see for sure. The recess on the "clutch cover" seems different than the video and it appears the bar oil cap is on both sides in the manual where the video only shows one side that has no oil fill cap but maybe the video has a higher battery. I am in the Makita lxt platform and the Husqvarna bli platform don't study Greenworks and pole saw or pole pruner in battery I have an idea Greenworks may have something better than what I currently have but not wild about pouch cells.

I am on smart phone hot spot to do internet currently and the above file does not seem to load pages 37 and 38 which is the exploded view. It is 18" called length in 041 mount running 95txl which is .325NK. Most likely that would be 72 dl. Looks like a 7 tooth spur sprocket.

I did a search of the parent company for Greenworks and it seems in 2016 The Stihl Group has acquired a substantial minority share of the Globe Tools Group, manufacturer of the Greenworks brand of corded and cordless outdoor power tools. this seems to be a link to where I was https://www.greenindustrypros.com/m...ing-manufacturer-of-greenworks-cordless-tools

Edit: look at page 25 it shows skip chain with bumper tie straps. That is not 95txl. Makes one wonder though about bar length claims though.

Is this the saw?

No, the GS181 is what they're calling a 45cc gas equivalent.

I have the Kobalt version of that saw, and I'd say 45cc equivalent is about right. Runs an 18" bar and will cut anything a gas saw that size will cut, just at ~2/3rds the speed. Bar fully buried in oak? Yep, been there done that.

After the disappointing experience of the MSA 300 I would argue that battery saws are best left to small stuff since the battery technology isn't even remotely close to being sufficient for powering a large saw with a 20"+ bar & chain. Aside from "just having one", it's hard to see much value in a saw that runs out of juice so quickly. It's kind of like having an electric car with a 15 mile range--sure it works for certain uses but it's so easy to exceed its capacity that it's hardly worth owning unless space and money are not a factor.
I agree with you about the big saw not being useful for real work; but I had no idea that this saw would have the overheating problems it does; or I would never have bought it. But for felling a tree over 20 inches; and partially cutting it up into firewood rounds; it IS a lot of fun!
I can't remember my original posting; but since I got the CSX5000; I also got the CS2000! Glutton for punishment I guess. That being said; I AM able to get a lot more work out of the 2000 before it overheats; if it even does.
I used the CS2000 to cut out a tongue and groove notch in a 22" 60ft tall choke cherry tree last month with no problems. And if I remember correctly; I was able to run the battery to exhaustion cutting up the trunk without it overheating.
There's a new battery technology coming called pouch cell. It is supposed to be more efficient; and less prone to heat up.
So maybe there is hope yet for my 24lb 24" saw. (The weight given is with a 12ah battery installed).

I already run a 24" bar on my EGO CSX5000. It has plenty enough power to run full bar cuts through white oak; which I have done. Also through a locust trunk of the same size.
The problem is with the battery technology. The motor in this saw is very demanding; and will quickly overheat the battery; no matter what size battery I put in it.

I already run a 24" bar on my EGO CSX5000. It has plenty enough power to run full bar cuts through white oak; which I have done. Also through a locust trunk of the same size.
The problem is with the battery technology. The motor in this saw is very demanding; and will quickly overheat the battery; no matter what size battery I put in it.
By the time the battery is hot it is pretty much depleted is a fair or not fair statement?

Some tools put air through the battery and the charger, some only on the charger, and I suspect some use pouch cells tightly packed with no way to get cooling designed into it.

By the time the battery is hot it is pretty much depleted is a fair or not fair statement?

Some tools put air through the battery and the charger, some only on the charger, and I suspect some use pouch cells tightly packed with no way to get cooling designed into it.
No! The battery is nowhere near depleted when it overheats; and there is no air forced through the motor or the battery.
I've heard that the use of pouch cells will potentially alleviate these problems to some extent. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back