Harbor Freight tachometers any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianrog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Are the Harbor Freight tachs any good? If not, are there any fairly inexpensive ones that are ok?

Thanks,
Adrian'

Dont know about the harbor freight, but edge and engine sells the fast tach they are 85.00. Baileys sells the sendec 5000 and I think theyre about 70.00. Both are wireless, the fast tach has replaceable batteries, the sendec dont but they probably last for a long time.

I just ordered a fast tach.

"There is substitute for good tools!"

Agreed, I normally do, but I'm just not sure that I'd ever use it much. I guess I have 14 or 15 small engines on lawn/yard/wood equipment, but they all run well. I'm not one to mod much, just have one go kart that the torque converter converter doesn't close up (terminology?). It is the only Tecumseh engine I own, so i don't have anything to compare it's sound to at full speed. It rattles and shakes and just doesn't sound anything like my Honda's , Brigg's, or one kawasaki. I'm just wanting to eliminate an underspeend engine as the source of my problem. What else would I use it for? I'm pretty easy to convince to buy better if I can half justify it.

Digital Contact Tachometer

-Adrian

The one we use is made by a Japanese firm called Oppama. Here is a link;
Manufacturing items>engine tachometer

They work by picking up ignition pulses, no wires. Baileys sells them. If you need a part number send me a PM.

Actually, there is a used one on the auction site with a couple days to go under Echo if your interested?

"There is substitute for good tools!"

Agreed, I normally do, but I'm just not sure that I'd ever use it much. I guess I have 14 or 15 small engines on lawn/yard/wood equipment, but they all run well. I'm not one to mod much, just have one go kart that the torque converter converter doesn't close up (terminology?). It is the only Tecumseh engine I own, so i don't have anything to compare it's sound to at full speed. It rattles and shakes and just doesn't sound anything like my Honda's , Brigg's, or one kawasaki. I'm just wanting to eliminate an underspeend engine as the source of my problem. What else would I use it for? I'm pretty easy to convince to buy better if I can half justify it.

Digital Contact Tachometer

-Adrian

That is the wrong kind of tach. You need one that picks up the spark pulses from the coil.

Latest posts

Back