Economical chain grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see any reason for flames. Based on the opinions given and the work Philbert did, it sounds like a cheap HF grinder plus a sufficiently skilled operator will yield a reasonably sharp chain. However, it does require the user to know what they are doing, the grinder doesn't have a lot of HP, and the wheels are an odd size. The HF grinder is going to be a bit slow if you're trying to do more than one or two chains at a time, and it requires more skill to get acceptable results. That's not going to be a good match for my potential application.

I have 2 of these so that I don't have to remove chains for grinding.

Grandberg direct grinder

I have one setup for 3/8 chain and the other setup for .325 chain. I think they do a dandy job. I have killed several belts in the other versions that require belts, but the direct drive grinder has been rock - solid dependable.

I have discovered that swapping stones on a single grinder didn't work very well. This is because the stones don't repeatedly"seat" the same on the mating surface. This resulted in a a slight wobble that made the stone vibrate slightly and not work very well.

I use a file to remove some raker material occasionally.

Latest posts

Back